A new camera stack for OctoPi

I've downloaded and installed the new stack onto a new, unused RPi 4 while a day-long print is active on my existing server. Plan is to move over to this new hardware after I get some preliminaries set up.

I'm all excited about the possibilities here - I had a number of problems before trying to get state-of-the-art cameras (such as Insta360 Link) up and running... eventually out of time (or was it patience?) and ended up with no camera at all. No fault here, but I hope for better now.

I am having trouble figuring out how to get started. I'm fairly certain my OctoPi setup is solid... it's the camera stuff I am missing. There are vague configuration references like '' Camera settings are done through individual conf files - one per camera - available directly on the /boot partition" and a mention of shared configurations with no reference to how they're shared, what can be found, and where..." so I'm completely in the dark (still) regarding cameras. Did I use a wrong starting point? Would someone be so kind as to point me to what I need in order to get started?

Thanks!

You need the new image, and to follow the instructions here:

Thank you, Slacker. To recap: you're telling me to read the very thread to which this reply belongs. OK. Did it again. No instructions... just a summary of what the poster has been working on, along with some vague references I mentioned before. Any helpful hints for getting started?

1 Like

Did you click the button to show full post...?

I believe I am looking at the whole post. I do not see a "show full post" or similar button. Only "Continue discussion." Let me try this differently, since the consensus so far seems to be that i'm missing it: In what section of this document would I find those instructions?

I see What's new, where to get it, and what's next.....

That is correct. You asked for someone to point you to where to get started. I am suggesting that the instructions you need are in the actual post and the link I gave you is to the actual post. In that post is a link to the camera-streamer FAQ to get the new camera stack set up. If you read that and are still having issues can you be specific about what part you are having issues with so we have some idea of how to help you?

The Where to get it? section explains it pretty straight forward I think. You have to flash the special camera stack image from pi imager.

As I have said in the original post... I have that part up and running; not sure how "I've downloaded and installed the new stack onto a new, unused RPi 4" can be misunderstood, but whatever. It was the camera part that confused me. The obscure camera-streamer FAQ is probably what I need.

The links to the FAQ aren't "obscure". The FAQ is linked twice before the HOW TO GET IT section. If you have problems after carefully reading that FAQ and are unable to get it working then coming back here with specific questions might get you on tract.

2 Likes

Thank you, Slacker. I was looking for something that said, "Hey, Dummy! Start here!" rather than some obscure, barely recognizable link. My bad.

You are using a pre-release image. That means you can expect some less-than-optimal documentation which would require a little more work and attention to detail. If that isn't you maybe consider waiting until the documentation is complete. At the risk of sounding like a jerk (which you certainly do) I can read things for you but I cannot understand them for you.

2 Likes

@Slacker thank you for your patience and your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice. How professional, indeed.

OctoPrint team, I apologize. I can't sit by and not point out when people are being whiny jerks....

delovelady, let's recap.

You asked for help indicating you had the image installed but didn't know where to start.

I offered that you missed the documentation and provided a link.

You got snarky.

Someone else tried to explain you are only reading comments and not the instructions.

You asked how to see the instructions that I posted three comments above and to which you got snarky. You gave the paragraph headers from the instructions but still didn't have any idea where to start because you didn't actually read the instructions.

I pointed that out and even reposted the link that is in those instructions not once but TWICE. I suggested you read them carefully and come back with specific questions to get on track.

Someone else chimed in confused because despite being told several times to read the instructions you keep ignoring them and getting snarky with those trying to tell you that you are NOT reading the instructions.

Your response was to say the links in the instructions which are a different color than the rest of the text to make them stick out are obscure.

Obscure: So faintly perceptible as to lack clear delineation; indistinct

A different color and underlined is hardly faintly perceptable or indistinct, but twice you said they are obscure. So I suggested if you are not able to read and carefully follow these instructions you should wait until this is an actual supported, documented release. I also pointed out every response you gave indicates you are a jerk. You asked for help, people gave you help, you ignored it and got more rude with each response. I say again that there isn't anyone here that will understand the instructions for you. You need to read, test, and when you have problems ask for help. But refusing to read and then complaining nobody is helping you is lazy. Being rude when others point that out makes you a jerk. Nothing in any of my responses was unprofessional or incorrect. You are a jerk and pointing that out does not make me unprofessional.

I'm truly sorry you feel that way, Slacker. Our perspectives differ. I replied to this thread, indicating that I didn't get how to get started. You replied with a link to this thread and a comment that I should read it. Later (and only later), you provided a link from within the thread that I had missed, a link that actually did help me out, and I appreciate that! Here's what that reference looks like on my browser. No underlines, and (for my poor eyes) not much color difference in the links. So I missed it, and later called it obscure (with reason).

I do wish my eyesight was better, honestly, I do, but it is not. So, yes, to me it is obscure. My other comments that you call snarky were, in fairness, retaliation to your own insults hurled my way.

At this point, I have the information I need - and that is largely thanks to you, so the rest of this doesn't really belong here. But like you, I am led to defend my position. I wish we were friends; you seem to know a lot. We have some hurdles to overcome, clearly, and they would need to start with us trying to understand one another's perspective.

Anyway, we could argue this all year and nothing would be accomplished, I'm happy with the progress though disappointed with the fallout. I truly hope you have a great day.

I'm glad we were able to bring the story to a good end.

Now please let's get back to the topic :wink:

If you want, you are free to continue your conversation via pm or visit the discord server to stay in contact there.

1 Like

Im curious about the upgrade path of the new branch. I want to know if I install the new image from the camera-streamer branch, will we be able to merge back to the stable branch once it releases or should we expect another reflash?

I mainly want to know if I should go ahead and reinstall OctoPi or wait for camera-streamer to be merged into stable... I want to mess around but not too much. :confounded:

If your interested in just trying it out it's easy enough to use a separate SD card for the new camera stack image, just backup the one you have now and download the zip, then restore that zip as part of the initial setup wizard. There's no timeline that I've seen mentioned anywhere when this will get merged into the main image, but will probably be a while in order to get more testers trying it out and validating operation I suspect.

hi does the new stack work on manual installs of octoprint if so how do i get it .
thanks
martin

This is a new webcam stack for OctoPi, so no the blog post only applies to the OctoPi image not installs with other OS images.