Has anyone tried Octoprint on any Raspberry PI alternatives?

If your are interested in running octoprint on other single board computers. I created a few months ago a “plug & play” distribution based on OctoPi and Armbian.

It has the following features:

Core (installed and enabled):

Optimized armbian Debian buster.
Latest stable octoprint version.
Selection of top octoprint plugins.
HAProxy with self signed keys for ssl access.
Avahi service: Bonjur addvertisement (this enable to acces with host-name.local via ssh or http/s)
SSH console access.
USB OTG console access (if available in the board)
Enabled i2c-dev,spidev (if available on the board)

3D printer related software:

Quick install of Klipper.
PlatformIo core for building 3D printer firmware.
Marlin 1.1.x & Marlin 2.x.x firmware (bugfix versions)

Extras (installed but disabled):

MPGStreamer USB camera support (experimental)
SMB shares to remote edit configuration files from a remote PC.

Images or build instructions are here:

Now it supports only three boards (Opi Zero, Opi One, Opi PC). But it’s extensible to other boards.

I am new to 3D printers and just picked up an Ender 3.
I have an older Genesi Efika (MX53 or MX6 - both are Cortex A8.
Debian is a supported OS, is it worth trying to go this route or just buy a Raspberry 3b?

Hm with this specs i would go for a raspberry pi if you want to use a webcam.
But if you use a standalone webcam which provides the stream via lan or wifi and you don't want to use the timelapse feature the board should be enough.

1 Like

Thank you!

This week I have rescued two old (year 2017) khadas VIM2 v1.2 and they are working really fine with octoprint and klipper ! :wink:

1 Like

I use an Odroid C2 for OctoPrint which I had lying around. As mentionend above, it works without any problems as it runs Ubuntu. If you want to use plugins that are espacially written for the Raspberry Pi (mostly GPIO-stuff) you won't be happy with the Odroid as GPIO is handled a little different but everything else works flawlessly.

What is currently best option to buy and available? Lots of options previously mentioned aren't available now.