I designed a standalone WiFi weight sensor for filament

Hi @simpat1zq,
I created tickets in my plugin issue-trackers for reading the weight values. https://github.com/OllisGit/OctoPrint-SpoolManager/issues/4
https://github.com/OllisGit/OctoPrint-PrintJobHistory/issues/18

Btw. do you know how many people were using your "FilaWigher"?

Unfortunately I do not know how many people are using it.

Ah. Then self.weight is probably what I am missing in this case. I’ll try that out. However, it looks like you are right, I would need js to make the data update live.

For what it's worth, I've found that in my rig a new 1KG roll of filament is so heavy that it requires a little adjustment to the standard Flow Rate multiplier (on the Control tab). For me, a full roll of Shaxon natural PLA @ 1KG might require as much as a 103% to compensate for the spool weight's rest inertia. A quarter roll remaining would be 100%.

What might be nice would be a way of programatically mapping the range of 100%-103% somehow to the weight of the spool (now that this information could be available). I could imagine a huge job requiring a programatic tweak to that setting during the duration of the job (to be optimal).

That’s a good idea. Like if OP had expected 100g to have been used but only 98g got used. It can adjust the flow accordingly. That’s a good idea. Unfortunately, I’m having a hell of a time just pulling this data into OP. Python has not been as easy for me to learn as c++ and Java were.

Not exactly. I'm not suggesting that OctoPrint deduce underextrusion using this method. I'm suggesting that it could "know best" and compensate for expected underextrusion due to the massiveness of a new roll.

I have updated this thing to also have a BME280 so you can get temperature/humidity/air pressure. And I’m also pretty much done with the octoprint plugin that pulls that data into OP.

1 Like

Hi @simpat1zq,
today the postman delivers all of the electronic stuff I need to build the "FilaWeighter".....unfortunately I have a lot of other things to do, will see.

1 Like

Let me know how it goes. I also just finished up my plugin. All it does is pull in the data from the sensors and display it on the front page at this time.

1 Like

EDIT. Nevermind. I don't know why, but it's all working now. Not sure what happened.

@OllisGit Could you please do me a favor. Whenever you get around to putting all this together, could try and flash a new Wemos or ESP8266 with my code and let me know if it works for you. I was trying to flash my code to another Wemos, and it doesn't seem to go past a certain point and it doesn't seem to go into AP mode for setup. I'm sure there's a simple reason for it, but can't put my finger on it. I only have one spare Wemos at the moment, so I can't test it out on other ones.

That made me think of something. Does your firmware support over the air flashing once it's on there? For example, if I flash one of my Tasmota devices with your firmware would I be able to flash it back with Tasmota?

I thought I had it in there, but it looks like it's not working. It's all part of that IoTWebConf library I'm using. But apparently, there is just a line or two of code that needed to be added. I'll have to add that in there.

Today, I found an other cool Filament Scale Project: https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/build-a-3d-printer-filament-scale

It's kind of an inspiration for me to look for the HX711 load cell interface in my "electronic junkyard"...and start realising it :wink:

Something integrated in a dry box and feeding/providing info to your SpoolManager plugin would be cool.