Man-in-the-middle Raspi

I had an inkling that this might be the case. I've got two computers, one downstairs in the lab and one upstairs in my room. On both of them, when powered down, they still supply power to the USB ports, enough that I can still charge my cell phone and power a Raspi

It's kinda like your tv's and such, the old antiquated "off" button was replaced by the new and improved, far less negative, and much more politically correct and people friendly "power standby" button, and was probably invented by somebody in the marketing department at the power utilities company who received a multi-million dollar bonus for this fabulous new idea, and is now resting comfortably on a beach somewhere drinking a drink with an umbrella in it while staring at his solar powered beach house, secure in the knowledge that he'll never have to pay a utilities bill again

With respect to new televisions, VCRs, DVD players, CD players: the infrared remote requires that the sensor remains on for it to power itself back up. We've been leaking power for decades now.

If you want to actually think about it, how about all the power adapters and chargers that are plugged into the wall but there's no device plugged into them? Grab it up and feel it; it's warm. And if it's warm then it's wasting power.

Yes. Those are called "vampire devices"

Okay. I got the Pi0W. I neglected to get a proper USB cable tho :oops:

Do you have a source for that particular cable ? The only ones I saw that were actual cables, and not adapters come from China... at a 40 day shipping time

Honestly, with the Zero, the USB connector (marked "USB") is supposed to be a OtG ("on the go") connector but it seems to work just great by powering it or connecting it via a standard micro USB cable.

I have a ton of these cables lying around the house because they're the same ones for most modern phones and electronics.

The OtG cable is used when you want the Zero to behave like a USB device to your computer. It's useful if you're trying to create something like a cold wallet out of your Zero, for example.

Yea, I have a million of those, I meant the one that goes from the 0W to the printer

I'm using a Fry's Electronics micro USB male to Type A female adapter plus the original Type A male to Type B male cable that was in use. It's a little cumbersome but it seems to work.

This might be a better fit. There's also this which would be better than the adapter I have.

I don't know if anyone yet makes a micro USB male to Type B male cable.

Ah, wait, I FINALLY found one...

In America

Only a foot long tho, and with a 90 degree angle, which is gonna affect the shape of the case

Or, would you really want an adapter inside the case? The adapter is less than 1/2 the price of the cable

What I was thinking was that the cables would make an "S" turn inside the case around a pylon before coming out the hole. This way you couldn't pull the cable out of the socket inside the case

Hopefully that works. Note that you'll still need to plug another micro USB plug into the PWR connection so that 90-degree angle worries me a little.

I actually have the DIY USB male/female plugs to include the micro sizes (Adafruit). I'll eventually go the route you're describing but not yet since this is still prototyping.

:oops: I meant around TWO pylons for an "S" turn

And I agree, the 90 degree angle thing IS an issue. BUT, if we go with the "S" turn inside the case, there's very little chance of the cable wriggling loose or being yanked out.

On the other hand, the adapter is so much cheaper, if you use the "S" turn, it probably won't be a problem

Later, I'll just solder the external wires for the win. Prototypes are expected to look a little unfinished.