Time stamp on timelapse video? (Can I request a plug-in here?)

Perhaps this deserves its own threads. I am a strong believer in open-source, but at some point I might have to stop supporting my plugin due to the sheer amount of effort involved. I have my good days and my bad days.

It's tough spending 10s of hours per week working on a project that actually ends up costing you money. I've got a handful of very awesome patrons, but so many people who do not contribute want/need support, which is very time consuming. I'd love to do this full-time, and to expand to other projects, and that requires cash unfortunately.

What would a 'premium' plugin look like? How would it work? If this is an interesting enough topic I'll create a separate thread.

Check in with foosel to see if she's okay with the dichotomy first since it's also very much her space. And then spin up another thread if that works.

I know that the big plugin "players" put tons of time into all this. I've cut back my participation lately due to competing projects.

Good advice. Will do.

Now you've mentioned it I'd quite like this plugin as well

Thanks for the support. I really thought this would be something that others would like to have as well.

I have been using the MotionEye option on a Pi Zero W, as discussed above now. And it actually works pretty well. You can't configure the timestamp format. (It simply adds the current time and date in the corner of the image.) But it is perfectly acceptable for hobby use. I have noticed some reduction in image quality over having the cam directly attached to the OctoPrint pi. Perhaps due to the lower power of the Pi Zero vs a Pi 3? But for my use, while not perfect, it was fast and acceptable.

I'm also going to go ahead and install OctoLapse again, and see what has changed since I tried using it last.

Thanks for the support!

Did you guys ever start another thread about this? It sounds worthwhile discussing to me.

I wanted to run it by foosel first, and she doesn't work on the weekends (good for her!).

I'm completely fine with having this discussion. I mean... I pretty much face a similar problem with my daily work :wink:

1 Like

Well, I hate to ask (considering the recent discussions). But....
I did decide to go ahead and install OctoLapse again, to see what is new. But I'm still having heartburn over the config.
Your installation video is very helpful and informative. And IF I was using Slic3r Prusa Edition, my configure issues probably wouldn't exist since you spell out exactly how to find the numbers and how to change them. But, I'm using Cura. And I'll be darned if I can find half of the numbers that I'm supposed to fill into the config boxes.
Any guidance (NO rush), would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Only enter the settings that are required for cura, and forget about 'high quality mode' snapshot profile (this will likely be removed from the next version anyway). There is a * by all of these settings that are required.

OR, since you don't have any settings that you care about in Octolapse probably, you could try the pre-alpha version that can suck in all of your slicer config settings. I promise that there will be some setup issues (you'll probably need to restore the default profiles immediately after install, because I'm currently working on the settings migration) that we'll have to work through. Also, there is a small script you will need to place in your cura start or end gcode (but that's really easy).

PM me if you want to try the super duper pre-release. To quote Monte Python: If you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further.

PM sent (if I did it correctly).
Let me know if you didn't get it.