Unable to install any OctoPrint Plugins

Hi Guys - New to 3d Printing and OctoPrint here - I am having an issue where my OctoPrint instance will not allow me to install any plugins - I have tried a couple of OS re-installs but with no luck - I am fairly new to linux and VERY new to python so maybe it's something I am doing - I followed the guide below to get everything running (Using Ubuntu Server 20.04.6

Installing plugin "Bed Level Visualizer" from https://github.com/jneilliii/OctoPrint-BedLevelVisualizer/archive/master.zip...
/home/josh/OctoPrint/venv/bin/python3 -m pip --disable-pip-version-check install file:///tmp/tmptvrit20i/OctoPrint-BedLevelVisualizer-master.zip --no-cache-dir
Processing /tmp/tmptvrit20i/OctoPrint-BedLevelVisualizer-master.zip
Installing build dependencies: started
error: subprocess-exited-with-error
Γ— Getting requirements to build wheel did not run successfully.
β”‚ exit code: 255
╰─> [1 lines of output]
Could not import OctoPrint's setuptools, are you sure you are running that under the same python installation that OctoPrint is installed under?
[end of output]
note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
error: subprocess-exited-with-error
Γ— Getting requirements to build wheel did not run successfully.
β”‚ exit code: 255
╰─> See above for output.
note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
Installing build dependencies: finished with status 'done'
Getting requirements to build wheel: started
Getting requirements to build wheel: finished with status 'error'
Error!
Could not parse output from pip, see plugin_pluginmanager_console.log for generated output
octoprint-systeminfo-20230505224937.zip (6.5 KB)

3 Likes

Hello! Created an account here to share that myself and at least one other user are having the exact same issue with recent OctoPrint installs. I created an issue in the ArcWelder plugin repo because I thought it was an ArcWelder bug, but it seems it affects all plugins: Cannot install from OctoPrint or command line: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'octoprint' Β· Issue #257 Β· FormerLurker/ArcWelderPlugin (github.com)

In brief, it seems a ?recent update to OctoPrint means that OctoPrint plugin installs no longer work when OctoPrint is installed in a Python venv.

Wow - Just wow, that actually fixed it...

Been looking for this answer for days and you have got there instantly, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge appreciation to you man.

Maybe you can help me get the webcam working as well :wink:

Charlie's suggestion above fixed this straight away with just the one command!

Wow - fixed it for me too!

im new to this. I have not tried to install a plugin until today and got this same problem. I was wondering how do you install wheel? is it on the octoprint site, or in Putty?

OctoPrint 1.9.0 should have fixed this issue. If you're still struggling to install plugins, it might be a different problem.