3D Printer Ownership Survey Results

First, thank you to anyone who filled out the ownership survey I posted a while back, and a big thank you to Gina for making the post a sticky post!

So, as promised, here are the survey results in a google sheet:

I had to clean up make/model names as best as I could in order to get proper counts. When in doubt, I used the MFG naming if I could find it. For open source models I used my discretion when coming up with the Make.

As many of you know, I am using this sheet to create a profile repository for Octolapse. I will be starting on from the most popular models that do not yet have an Octolapse profile, and will be working backwards from there. In the case of a tie I'll be pretty much going with my gut.

If you want to help, feel free to attempt to locate some of the missing values. In particular I need the bed shape, origin location (Center/Front Left), diameter+height or length+width+height, home location (or NA if it is unknown or varies by axis), bounding box coordinates (all possible fixed coordinates) and printable area coordinates (bounding box - any priming areas). The priming height is useful if it is known. There is also a place in the sheet for a link to the MFG page, and that is usually very useful to have around. There's also a notes section that can be used for anything else.

I've granted 'comment' permissions to the sheet, so you can right click over a cell and add a comment to submit suggest a value. I'd rather not grant full edit permissions since the formatting is fragile, and consistency is crucial.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far!

4 Likes

Did you post that survey to Twitter or just here? I would think the sample size is not large enough.
You can import the stock settings for printers from Marlin example configs for popular printers as it's already been verified.

I think you're probably right. I posted it here, on Patreon, and on Reddit (r/3dprinting). I will try twitter too, though I don't think a lot of people will see it there either. I have gotten two responses, one for the most popular printer on the list, so I'm happy about that!

Regarding the Marlin configs, that's a good idea. I do want to make sure someone tries any new profiles before I make them available, but it will probably be easier to find a tester than someone who fill in settings.

If you don't have a Facebook account i can repost it for you on the 3D Printing groups that way you get more responses. The largest group is '3d printing' they also have a Discord. Discord also has alot of users that post regularly. I see alot more people using Octolapse on there because they are posting examples of their prints on a daily basis. They always pop up late at night on Youtube. I am sure that there are enough people that will want to test new versions and settings in those groups as they are the most active and I am in groups on Google and some of the 3D printing forums.

@Deneteus, I appreciate your offer and will take you up on it for sure. I'll message you back once a beta is available so testing is possible. I'm working with a few brave souls now to get some kinks worked out of the alpha version, and (as I suspected) the settings migration is definitely not ready yet.

1 Like