Better file list/viewer?

I find the file list to be the weakest part of the OctoPrint ui. The widet is barely 290x490 pixels yet it's contents have huge amounts of padding making only 4 files visible at a time.

I would like to see whole folder structures that you can expand and collapse. The action buttons don't need to be next to every file but can be at the bottom and refer to the selected file. It's also currently confusing how to view files on the SD card so why not just add that to the view also?

So I did a quick mockup design in Photoshop. I haven't reduced the total size of the widget, there is actually less space here for each file yet you can see so much more and get a better overview for all your files.

Octoprint-New

How hard would it be to make a plugin that replaces the original list with this?

I noticed this plugin posted on the useful plugins section not on the repository...moves the file list to a tab.

1 Like

Yeah this hasn't worked for a while. Unless someone can update it to work with Python 3. Frankly i don't know why they stick one of the most import part of Octoprint in the Corner where can barely see it and makes it hard to browse.

better? :wink:

What about file manager plugin?

I would use UI Customizer. But it screws up my TouchUI Touchscreen. It just constantly refresh the chrome browser over and over again. I didn't know the File manger could be used that way. I thought it was just a way to move files around. I guess i could use that. But it dosn't seem as nice as the normal File List. I always wind go back to using the Python 2 version of Octoprint. Until i can do anything else with it.

There is a patched version of TouchUI with temperature graph fixed in newer versions of OctoPrint, by all means please don't downgrade to older python.

I winded up using WideSceen. It dose most of what Customizerui i dose. But without the extra junk and it doesn't screw up my Touchui Touchscreen. Thanks.