Bootloader required?

Hi All,
This is my first post and I'm loving really impressed with Octoprint! I have a question that I was not able to find an answer to via the search engine. I'm wanting to update the firmware in my Ender 3 Pro to version 1.1.9. I would like to use the OP firmware update plugin to do this but was wondering if the printer must have a boot loader installed first?

That's more of a marlin/ender 3 forum kind of question instead of an OctoPrint kind of question so you may find more information elsewhere relative to that. I'm not sure the Ender 3 ships with a bootloader or not.

2 Likes

Hi @luvtofish!

You may have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JLchsFRDU&t=215s

Yes, it does. If you need to burn a bootloader you will likely need additional hardware. If your printer has printed before, it likely has a bootloader (though in theory it is possible to replace the bootloader with Marlin directly, in which case it is not possible to upgrade the firmware with just a USB cable).

So, I'll need to go the route of procuring an arduino board and dupont jumper wires to manually install the bootloader. The Ender 3 does not come with a bootloader from the factory. There are a few tutorials online that explain this process pretty well. Thanks to all that replied.

It's been a while since I did it on my stock CR-10 (replaced with an Einsy board eventually) but pretty sure I ended up using a Nano that I had laying around for the job.