Can OctoPrint Run on a Raspberry Pi Compute Module?

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone one has/or knows if it is possible to load octoprint onto a Raspberry Pi Compute Module CM3. All I've got so far is that on version 0.9.0 support was added, but no one has seemed to of tried it yet. There's nothing on the internet about it so I'm at a bit of a stand-still in my development.

• Update Raspbian to version 2014-06-20, should work with the new Raspberry Pi compute module
  • Updated version of OctoPrint out of the box
  • Updated version of pyserial
  • Real init script for OctoPrint service (thanks Gina)

This was from 5 years ago

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

J

OctoPrint certainly can since all it needs is a Python 2.7 environment and some basic hardware requirements fulfilled to work, and I'm fairly sure the compute module covers those.

I think you in fact are rather wondering if the OctoPi image will run on compute module out of the box. Neither @guysoft (AFAIK) nor me ever had a chance to play around with a compute module, but OctoPi is pretty much a customized Raspbian image, so if the current Raspbian images run on the compute module, then the current OctoPi images should as well.

1 Like

Out of the box compatibility would be great, but as there is little information of people using compute modules for Octoprint, I didn't hold my breath... I have a compute module kit on order, so when that arrives I'll have a tinker around with it. As you say it should work, they use the same SOC as the current PI just clocked lower and without the heat spreader.

If I find any bugs I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

J

I have a compute module. I will try and test it over the weekend. It is an older one so I am not sure what the performance would be like. For all intents and purposes it should run fine. The only thing I can forsee is possible storage issues unless you have the external drive daughterboard (which I have) . I will report back once I test it.

1 Like

Actually, this would be exciting stuff if it works. It's got a 4GB eMMC Flash device built into it and presents 120 GPIO pins to the user. Then all we'd need would be a hat for Arduino/Smoothieboard which behaves like the Compute Module IO Board itself.

Hi!

Any update?

I have a Compute Module 3 plus of 16 Gb, and I would like to load on it OctoPrint, but I did not find any useful information on the internet.

I have this module (https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/Compute_Module_IO_Board_Plus), and I would like to use an ESP8266 board to add WiFi.

Thanks in advance.

I can't think of a reason why it would not work; just follow the instructions to install OctoPrint on Raspbian. I do think it will be much easier (and probably more performant) to use a USB WiFi stick instead of an ESP8266 board.