Cannot access Octoprint via DynDns

What is the problem?
I can reach the start site of octoprint where I have to type in my user name and password but I continue to get following message: Loading failed. Socket connection failed.... etc etc

What did you already try to solve it?
I installed a fixed ip in my network, I have configured router correctly for dyn dns.

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)

You haven't supplied enough information about your network (and the rest of your setup as requested) and from what you have supplied, I think you may be using the wrong features.

Start with telling us what you are trying to accomplish? Describe your network configuration, WAN settings, LAN settings, Type of router, etc. Where did you install a fixed IP? Show us how you configured for dyn dns?

The more details you give us, the better help we can give you.

BTW, it's not good to port forward alone, you're better off setting a VPN or something like Property of Cat_attack18 can happen to you. Hopefully you've read A Guide To Safe Remote Access of OctoPrint and I want to access my OctoPrint installation from the internet, how do I do that?.

1 Like

Well I have an Rasberry Pi connected to my WPA protected Wifi. I have a Motorola modem/router combi from my provider. I have a DynDns adress, I installed it in the router, it works perfectly, I can reach my 2 Synology Diskstations without problems from outside. I have bullet proved passwords. I forwarded port 80 to the Pi. The Pi has his own reserved internal IP adress, means it has always the same IP adress.
So what else do you need?

Good insurance for when your house is burnt down. And good offsite backups for all files on your other computers for when those get invested with ransomware.

It does not matter how "bullet proved" your passwords are. HTTP (traffic over port 80) is not secure, and your password can be snooped. DO NOT expose your OctoPrint to the internet over HTTP. If you must expose your OctoPrint, at the very least use HTTPS, but it is much saver for your home(network) if you only make it accessible via an VPN connection.

OK but why did I find this in zhis forum?

Just because you can does not mean it is a good idea.

Yes correct. My question was just why do I get the above mentionend answer from the raspberry.!

I don't know. Have you checked your browser's error console and octoprint.log for possible reasons?

Other than that, I don't know and to be honest I don't feel like helping you set your house on fire. If you are running an OctoPi installation, and you are hellbent on not using a VPN, then at least use HTTPS.

Means forward 443? Or better use Octopi.

Because otherwise I get attacked for "withholding information" and I frankly prefer to be left in peace from advise resistant individuals that are convinced I have a personal vendetta against them for trying to keep them safe.

1 Like

Haha OK I understand. I would like to setup a vpn, but I'm not so familiar. I have seen a lot and I must admit I haven't found one guide easy enough for me.

I will go with The Spaghetti Detective.

1 Like