Can't slice with slic3r Got returncode 2

Hi,
On first, i'm sorry for my english.
I need help, i'm trying to slice on octoprint, installed on my raspberry pi but, when it start slicing, it give me an error: "Got returncode 2" . I followed all the instuctions on the official web page, step by step,during the installation i didn't recive any error. I even tryed to edit a totaly new config.ini in slic3r (on windows) just to be sure that my usual config profile didn't come from a linux os.

Can anyone help me?
I hope to be clear in my explanation.
tnx
Giac0

Update:
i tried doing the installation process again, i noticed this:

Screenshot (7)

I don't think many of us actually slice in OctoPrint these days. The CuraEngine was removed from the list of bundled plugins a version or two ago. The average person I'd guess now slices in the stand-alone version of Cura.

ok fine, as i usually do with slic3r or simplify, but i'm speking about slic3r, not cura. Or do i need to use cura plugin anyway with the slic3r one?

Presumably, you'd use the slic3r stand-alone software on your computer/workstation and then upload the gcode file to your instance of OctoPrint.

I don't have any experience with the slic3r build for a Raspberry Pi but I'm pretty sure that it is totally independent of the Cura plugin (i.e. you don't need the Cura plugin).

I believe one should treat the Raspberry Pi / OctoPi / OctoPrint / 3D Printer combo as a dedicated, real-time system. Successful 3D prints require real-time delivery of GCode to the printer. The more "other stuff" you add to the Raspberry Pi, the more likely you are to interfere with the delivery of GCode to your printer.

Most of the slicers available today have nice graphical user interfaces. You can make use of these graphical interfaces to assure that the sliced output will result in a successful print. The OctoPrint Cura plugin has no graphical feedback capabilities you are relying on the .stl file to be properly oriented, sized, etc. so you will have a successful print.

Arguments I've heard for needing a slicer on the Raspberry Pi revolve around having a group (like a classroom) of users with limited compute devices (i.e. tablets). In these cases, using a web-based slicer like IceSL-online is a viable option. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKZUVxKCdaU for more options.

1 Like

I also think slic3r is indipendent of cura... it's another slicer.

Never tested cura on octoprint, just on pc, I didn't know that cura plugin has no graphical feedback...

I was watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I_BIR36Grk look like there is a graphic interface in slic3r plugin. it seem very useful.

My intent is to slice and print without use a PC (Not to much complex stl) so the solution of slic3r on octoprint could be fine to my needs, even because is my favorite slicer and I use it since 2014...

I'm going to watch your video,looks interesting.

I hope to be understandable

You may try the recent version of PrusSlicer that has a version for RaspberryPi. https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases