Communication timeout while printing. Not a marlin bugfix firmware issue

I had the same problem for a long time. A simple trick with an extension cord fixed it for med so I did this thing on Thiniverse. Zero problemes since then.
OctoPrint disconnect fix (SerialException)

Interesting approach to fixing EMI issues. I've heard similar things when people had their printer close to a freezer and when the compressor kicked on it would kill the pi's connection.

I have now installed the new PSU and I can report back that it was not enough to power only the Ender off this PSU, I put in a buck converter to go from 24v to 5v so that I could also power the Pi from this actively filtered PSU, and I haven't had a problem since. (My problem was not with just the Ender PSU or the pi PSU, I had to feed them both a clean voltage to make it work. Go figure.)

Winding coils is a common method in HF technology to suppress EMI. It depends of the frequency if the use of a coil or a ferrite bead is more useful. Sometimes the coils are wound around a ferrite ring.

Yeah, I just never thought to do it with an extension cord before.

And if there's any chance there is a somewhat larger load on the extension cord, you really shouldn't do that.

1 Like

Yes. Those are always better:

Just a heads up that I have been investigating the issue of intermittent communication errors, timeouts, exceptions between my raspberry pi and ender 3v2 printer and have noticed excessive electrical noise on the +5v supply to the raspberry from the 3amp raspberry power adaptor (3.3v vcc derived from this). Not sure what the source of rhe noise is yet (printer, raspberry or mains supply) but have fitted extra smoothing/filtering to the internal raspberry board to reduce it while l test to see if the situation is resolved. Will do a separate post once l figure it out as believe this issue quite widespread. Cheers