Creating a basic plugin

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get started in creating my own plugins, I read the guide to making a hello world project.

I have a noob question.

where do we save this helloworld.py file , I tried searching the folders in octopi via ssh for a plugins folder but did not find any.

Would also like to know where the installed plugins get saved on the pi ?

Thanks
Hussain

It is fairly well explained here:
https://docs.octoprint.org/en/master/plugins/index.html

2 Likes

There are a couple of ways to install the plugin, manually or via plugin manager using a zip file, or using a URL in Plugin Manager to download the zip file and install it. If you want to actively working on it, then probably putting the plugin folder in ~/.octoprint/plugins/ would probably work on a pi. However, I strongly recommend creating a local virtualenv on whatever machine you're working on. It's pretty easy to set-up and there are guides all of the community forum here and the docs linked by @fieldOfView. Specifically look into this section.

https://docs.octoprint.org/en/master/development/index.html

hi !

I tried following the documentation on creating a virtual environment , but i am not sure if i completed all the steps correctly or not. I am pretty new to this so maybe thats the reason. I tried looking for an plugins folder via ssh but could not find one. I will take the sd card out and check it again.

Is there any way to check if I have done it correctly ??

Thanks
Hussain

Does it work? Then you have probably done all the steps correctly. Doesnā€™t it work? You have missed something. But you are going to have to tell us how it does not work.

If you are looking for a ā€œplugins folderā€, you have not read the documentation I linked to. It doesnā€™t matter where you put the plugin during development, but thereā€™s a command (starting with ā€˜pipā€™) to ā€œinstallā€ the plugin into the OctoPrint instance.

Hi,

I did read through it , but since I am new to this I did not get a full understanding of it.

When creating the vitualenv my octoprint folder got placed in users file under c directory, apart from that I did everything else correctly. Few things in pycharm are a bit different than what was on the documentation.

I will try using the pip command like you mentioned and see how that goes.

Thanks

Hussain