Cura OctoPrint Connection plugin

Hi, thanks for the great work.

I can't get two printers to connect to Cura.

I wanted to add the ender5

• I went again to manage printers,

• I pressed connect to Octoprint and saw the remaining Ender5pro listed in the overview of instances.

• I selected it and added the api key

• pressed request and received the request for permission from Octoprint. Ofcourse I allowed.

There it stops,

• When i close the window nothing has changed. I cannot see the ender5 in the selection field of printers in the prepare screen of Cura.

What i tried:

• Reinstalling Cura

• I tried the same exercise on another computer now starting with the ender 5. Now the ender 5 was successful but i could not add the ender3.

Other info:

• When i press disconnect in the "connect to Octprint screen" I see the blue check in the Ender 3 in the pull down select on the main screen in the background disappearing.

Please help me to figure out what i am doing wrong.

This does not sound right... but it can be confusing how Cura lists the OctoPrint connections.

The thing to understand is that the items in the list for the Connect to OctoPrint dialog are not your printers. They are connection configurations to OctoPrint. You can create as many of them as you like. They are not part of your printers profile in Cura.. they are a separate entity.

I had some issues with this when I was first setting things up for multiple printers.

This is going to sound like I am telling you something you already know... but follow along, from the sounds of your issue, you don't quite get how the printers relate to the connections.

When you go into manage printers, you should see both your printer listed. One is "active" the other is just listed.

When you select the one that is not active, it does not become active. You have to take action and tell cura that you want to make it active. The easiest thing to do is just select the printer you want to work with before you try to manage printers in cura, that way it will be the active printer when you open that dialog.

If you now select the "Connect OctoPrint" button, it will bring up a new dialog. If your printer is already properly configured and connected to an OctoPrint instance, you will see the Connection settings info on the right hand side of the dialog. If not, you will just see a list of previously created connection configurations. Hard to say what you see since you have been working on this for a while.

If you are starting fresh and only have configured your first printers connection, you should see that connection in the list. (you likely named it the same as your printer.) Its not your printer though.. its the connection info you are looking at now. Not the printer.

To set up the second connection for your new printer, select the Add button. Then fill in the info Name it something like the name of your printer but add a suffix to it. This will help you understand the difference between the printer profile and the OctoPrint Connection configuration. Once you hit OK, you will land back on the connection listing dialog. Likely either with no connection selected or the one you created for your first printer. Look closely here. It almost never does what one would expect.

Select your new connection.. It should be the last in the list and have that unique name with the suffix.

The interface here does allow you to have it ask OctoPrint for access and the API key but I find it easier to just log into OctoPrint and create a user named like "E5Cura", then create an API key for that user with the appKey of Cura.. Creating a username like this will keep you from makes in connections between OctoPrint Instance.

Then you can use the API key in the dialog in cura. If you paste in the API key and click to the side(outside the text box), Cura will fetch a few bits of info like the URL and Username showing you that it can talk to your cura instance. Make any additional selections of options you would like and then click "Connect"

Not a lot changes here. The button will change to "Disconnect"

If the url and username line up... you should be good.

Don't click the Disconnect button... just close the Connect OctoPrint dialog using the [X] at the top right of the dialog.

Then close the printers dialog using the [X] at the top right of the Preferences dialog.

Now pull in a Model, slice it and you should see the "Print with OctoPrint" button we all love.

I hope this helps you or anyone with similar issues. Good luck.

You don't have to manually create application keys. By pressing "Request" and allowing access, you ask OctoPrint to create an application key for you and copy it to the field in Cura automatically.

Did you press the "Connect" button after requesting the API key? It is sort of the "ok" button of that dialog. Your connection (and the key) does not get saved unless you press "Connect".

1 Like

I just updated OctoPint to 1.9.3 and Cura to V5.5.0, uninstalled the Octoprint plugin 3.7.3 and reinstalled it in Cura, but the OctoPrint button doesn't appear in Settings:Printers:Manager Printers for my Ultimaker 2+. I can see and connect to the printer over my local internet via Chrome browser OK. I rebooted my PC and RPi4B but still no success. I added a new Ultimaker 2+ and uninstalled/reinstalled the plugin, but still no OctoPrint button.

Any help appreciated!

Please try the following:

• Uninstall the plugin
  • Restart Cura (this is important!)
  • Reinstall the plugin
  • Restart Cura again.

If the plugin still does not work, please post a link (google drive, dropbox, etc) to your Cura.log file, which can be found via Help -> Show configuration folder.

No go on the uninstall/reinstall - cura.og below. Thanks for the help!

2023-11-16 10:32:57,980 - INFO - [MainThread] UM.PluginRegistry.loadPlugin [492]: Plugin [OctoPrintPlugin] has been disabled. Skip loading it.

It looks like you have disabled the plugin. In the Marketplace dialog, click the cogwheel (top right) and scroll down to the OctoPrint Connection plugin. Make sure the checkmark in front of it is ticked. Restart Cura yet again.

1 Like

That's the 1st time I've used that Enable function - I didn't know it was there! Thanks for the help - it's working again.

1 Like

You may have loaded someone's project file that had the plugin disabled. Any project files that you created while the plugin was disabled also contain the preference to disable the plugin. If you create projects often, you may want to check them.

Can you please fix this for me too? I was searching like crazy for the plugin until I found this reply. Signing out made it available for install. My Cura username is sammyke007. Tnx!

EDIT: personal accounts are gone since november 2023 I see. Everyone is Essentials now. Any way to get access to all plugins please?

No, sorry, I can't. This is well out of my control.

Log out and install the plugin. You probably don't need to be logged in to Cura to use it in the first place, unless you use Ultimaker-specific features.

2 Likes

Ok tnx for the very fast reply!