Cura Thumbnails and Filemanager... missing image icon?

Do thumbnails only show in the state panel if I am printing directly from Cura through the Octoprint connection or can they show while printing from an uploaded file?

Also - when I look at the Cura Thumbnails information in the plugin description it indicates that you can add a thumbnail by clicking the image icon in the file manager

• but my file manager does not seem to have this icon.

I am using OctoPrint 1.6.0rc1
Python 3.7.3
OctoPi 0.18.0

You would have to export the file from Cura as "Ultimaker Format Package" (UFP) instead of gcode for a thumbnail to be included. The thumbnail is not part of the gcode file, but the UFP includes both a gcode file and a thumbnail image.

Hi @jaymcd,

I think you misinterpreted the Cure Thumbnail - Plugin description
"...by clicking the newly added image button."
The Plugin adds a new button to the filemanager, it is not possible to add an image to each print job.

As fieldOfView already mentioned you need to upload an UFP file instead of an gcode file to octoprint. This can be done via Drag&Drop or directly from cura.

Btw. PrusaSlicer includes the thumbnail image as a base64 encoded text directly into the gcode file (if enabled). This can be shown by "PrusaSlicer Thumbnails"

Hi all,
Since a few days I experience issues with this plugin.
The images are not shown anymore (the files are UFP).
I removed the plugin and reinstalled it but it still does not show the images.
If I click on the image icon on octoprint there is a broken link icon shown.
How can I re-establish the connection between the plugin and my UFP files?
TYIA

If the files are correctly uploaded as UFP files, then the issue is at the side of the plugin for OctoPrint. Try posting over at the github issue queue for that plugin (Issues Β· jneilliii/OctoPrint-UltimakerFormatPackage Β· GitHub) or at the OctoPrint community forum (https://community.octoprint.org/).

Edit: hmm, I thought I was on the Ultimaker Community Forum. You are in the right place here... @jneilliii may have some wise words to say (and will probably want to see log files)

Yeah, will definitely need logs to know what's going on. Also, check your browser's developer tool's console tab for potential errors when attempting to load the images. It's possible a special character is breaking the URL because it uses ? or # characters. That recently was reported in the Slicer Thumbnails plugin and might be similar here.

1 Like