i dont know why Docker is so underated for OctoPrint and i think we should concentrate on a better working Docker Image.
Some Advantages of Docker:
- Multi arch support if implemented: works on any PI, any other Devices
- Centerized user config (easy config, easy backup)
- Fast installation cuz its preinstalled
- also easy configuration based on pre-defined variables (like which camera to use for this container)
- Multi OctoPrint Instances without hacking around and every Octoprint Installation is seperated
- Other Applications available (like Pi-hole, Portainer, MQTT Broker,...)
- userfriendly GUI with Portainer to manage Docker
- watchtower for auto updating docker images (not recommend for OctoPrint cuz it would stop a running Print)
- easy Version downgrade on Problems
- easy access to dev/test/rc Versions (just change the Docker Tag)
- and many more (clusters/swarm)
Im also not a fan of PRE-MADE Rasbian Versions like OctoPi, if u want run diffrent Apps which provide a predefined Image u cannot use them or u have to buy a second pi (energy costs running two pi for work which one pi could do).
The "official" Docker Image is really bad made and seems not to be maintaned.
nunofgs did a great job here and ill try to merge my CI changes to his repo.
It would nice if in the future the CI gets integrated in the OctoPrint GitHub, that way there would be auto build for dev/rc/stable Releases of OctoPrint. Currently without a connection to the OctoPrint Github it needs to run daily for master build and manual for new releases.
You guys should really try out Docker.
Here is a small QuickStart:
curl -fsSL https://get.docker.com -o get-docker.sh
sudo sh get-docker.sh
sudo usermod -aG docker pi
mkdir -p /home/pi/Docker/OctoPrint
docker run -d \ --restart=unless-stopped \ --name=OctoPrint \ -p 1337:80 \ --device=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyUSB0 \ -v /home/pi/Docker/OctoPrint/data:/data \ reloxx13/octoprint:latest