Ender + Octoprint new life

I bought a used raspberry 2b to use with Octoprint, in my country the sellers have the ability to triple or triple the price of things and to pi 3 can cost more than $ 100. I watched a video of T. Sanladerer where he installed Octoprint in a Pi2 and I thought it would be enough.
However, I struggled a lot to get it to work properly, the curves always slowed down, the printing times became longer and the results were not what I was looking for. I was about to stop using Octoprint and go back to the sd card.

A few days ago, just to investigate, I decided to install Prusa Slicer 2.0. The change was gigantic. Not only do the impressions come out better, it's that Octoprint works with a fluency I never had before.
I can not understand why the change from Cura with Octoprint Plugin to Prusa Slicer produced this. But where Octo had difficult to trace the curves, now it does it fast and without suffering.
I do not have enough knowledge to understand, and I am sure that my standard Cura configuration was not sufficiently polished. But, with very few changes, Prusa Slicer did something that I did not get with Cura after several months changing settings. I share the experience because perhaps someone is suffering the same problems. Thanks for read me.

Apparently with the settings you used in Cura, the resulting gcode was too detailed, which caused octoprint to send too many lines of gcode to print the curve. This causes stuttering.

Yes, I often print small mechanical parts, maybe it's too much for the Pi2b. I tried to print more slowly, but sometimes it went well, often not, which is not reliable.
What I will most miss will be your plugin, it was very useful to control the printing from Cura. I'll check if there's something similar to use in PrusaSlicer. Thanks, you do a fantastic job.

Thanks for the kind words.

Don't give up on Cura yet. I did not say you should print slower to prevent this problem. You should print less detailed (on the X/Y axes, the Z axis (layer height) does not matter is this case). There are two ways of achieving this:

• produces STLs with fewer vertices on the curves (less tesselation), or
  • in Cura increase the value of the Maximum Resolution setting

You can also try to increase the buffer in Marlin to prevent the stuttering.

I always assumed that Cura compressed the information of curves regardless of the detail of the stl model. So I have not been worrying too much about the weight of the mesh when exporting to print. I think that since I do not notice any problems moving the Stl model in Cura interface, I assumed something magical that is not so. :slight_smile: Absurd logic, I'll try this tips. Thanks a lot.

I had the same issue but only resolved it when moving to a Pi 3. I didn't see any difference between Cura and S3D but, as I use S3D I wasn't really looking for a slicer solution. I found the improvements I wanted with a better Pi, which solved the problem of the very slow and jerky curves.

Yes, surely buy a better Pi solve the problems, but I would prefer not to make another expense in this. I gave Cura another chance by following the fieldOfView instructions. It works better, not with the fluency of Prusa Slicer, but it improved. Perhaps the key is to observe what kind of work makes one better than the other and use them both according to this.