Foam frother attachment for aircrete project

And today I'm printing the first of four sections I designed yesterday for a foam frother (for aircrete). It sandwiches an 80# sanding screen inside and it accepts a 2' green vinyl/steel planter's stake into the drill. I've modeled in aluminum hex-head bolts throughout by Acrobotics.

Frother

4 Likes

Prepping for the construction now?

Absolutely. The gf is off for three weeks from U.C. Berkeley in a couple of weeks so we'll be out in New Mexico scoping things out. Given the clusterf%$# that is California this summer in lockdown, we're thinking that an early move might be in order. There's no guesses at when her school will re-open in in-person classes so we're going to gamble and head out in June, I'm guessing.

So, I'm now prepping gear, learning all I can, gathering recipes, making lists and such. The next part will be the aircrete stirrer attachment which ought to be fun.

Didn't heard of aircrete before ...
looks like it is a nice material to build a pizza oven :smiley:

ok it looks like it is like the ytong ready to use stones we use in germany ...

It's a bit like that; they've been doing that since the 1920s or so. This is newer in that it incorporates essentially dishwashing liquid as a foam. So 6 gallons water, 94# cement with 100 grams of foam in a quart-sized bucket, all together in a 55 gallon drum. It sounds crazy that such a small weight of foam is incorporated in but it really makes for a light block once cast.

2 Likes

I saw this project on YT a year or so ago. It seemed a legitimate project, but I didn't understand why it wasn't picked up commercially, which led me to question its veracity

But if the video is true, then you're right, it's a remarkable building material

I intend to build a variety of structures with it. I'll need a pad & building to contain the well head so I thought I'd use that to get the technique down first. I'll likely co-locate the generator there since it will likely be noisy and the pump will want power.

I'm thinking that I could cast triangular frames for holding up solar panels as more infrastructure. I really love the idea of casting shapes for tunneling. A water tower? Maybe.

The Rio Grande Rift runs down thru Los Cruses, which could make tunneling slightly less than an optimum risk. Drilling and fracking also decreases tectonic stability, which, for some reason they like to do in fault zones

The Roswell area seems to be historically a tectonically stable area, unless, of course a UFO lands on your tunnel

This will be due west of Albuquerque, in Navajo territory basically.

Believe it or not, the Southwest is lousy with tunnels from military projects.

It's printed and assembled. The holes for the smaller bolts were unfortunately unusable due to the way that Cura tries to add supports inside them. (Useless.) So I used plenty of zipties and hot glue all the way around.

1 Like

try the support blocker for the next print :slight_smile: I don't use support for small holes.
use 4.6.1 - there was a bug in previous versions (support blocker didn't work).

1 Like

Yeah, I just discovered this myself earlier today on a slicing job. Thanks.

Today's design was for the related cement mixer attachment.

CementMixer

1 Like

Fusion 360?

Yeah, all my designs are in Fusion 360. It's printing now in a leftover blue PLA filament. It will reasonably fill the print area.

@FormerLurker

10+ hour print:

Before: 73.5MB
After:  30.9MB
3 Likes