Guide to install multiple versions of OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi

Note: This is not a guide to install multiple 3D printers on a single Raspberry Pi. One Pi per printer is by far recommended. This guide is mainly to test RCs of OctoPrint, the current dev of Gina or your own developments with a single Raspberry Pi and a single printer. Currently, I use it to test version 1.4.0 on Python 3 but still have the possibility to use the Python 2.7 flavor with all the plugins when doing a long lasting print.

I have updated my Installation Guide for OctoPrint 1.4.0 under Python 3. This is the setup I use to test different versions of OctoPrint (stable, dev, my own, ...)

It is rather complete, and includes the installation of Raspbian itself, multiple python virtual environments using pyenv virtualenv, using Supervisor to manage OctoPrint instances, NGINX as a reverse proxy and also as a front end to display a page with all the instances.

The guide is available here:
http://sebastien.andrivet.com/en/posts/installing-multiple-octoprints-raspberry-pi/

1 Like

I suppose one could ask or confirm that the reason would be so that you can try different situations... rather than to print to multiple printers simultaneously. The title might suggest to many people that you're trying to do multiple printers with one Pi.

I’m using this mainly to test RCs of OctoPrint, the current dev of Gina or my own devs. Currently, it is to test version 1.4.0 on Python 3 but still have the possibility to use the Python 2.7 one with all the plugins when doing a long lasting print.

The screenshot shows clearly that usage.

The title does not suggest anything more than what is written and there are probably several use cases.

How about "multiple versions" instead of "multiple instances"?

Regardless of the title discussion: nice job as always! :+1:

Thanks. Title changed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the write-up and the title. We get lots of people coming on here trying to throw many printers on a single Pi and your post could have easily been at the top of their search results.

When the connection works you will see the security warning shown below. You can safely ignore it, and click the 'Yes' button. You will only see this warning the first time PuTTY connects to a Raspberry Pi that it has not seen before official website

Where? Maybe you forget to post an image or something?