Hello Everyone I am Going to Jump in Soon!

Hello,

I am ready to start digging into OctoPrint. I have years of experience with Python. I am still kind of a fledgeling with 3D printing. I want to start out by getting a development system running at home. I typically only use Python 3, using Anaconda. I have seen PyCharm mentioned, that is my IDE of choice.
I expect that I will have some growing pains, but I will try not to be a PITA to anyone. I hope to ramp up quickly and contribute to the team.

Thank you all for your hard work and dedication.

Respectfully,

Willie Peloquin

3 Likes

Welcome to the club!

BR
Olli

1 Like

I note that you're starting at an interesting time: OctoPrint is transitioning from Python 2 to Python 3. So you might consider just jumping into Python 3. Search the forum for that, there are some threads where we're discussing.

As @OllisGit mentioned, welcome. He and I may hit you up for python help as we both are fairly new to using it, and I know he hates it.

Hi there, and welcome! Cant wait to see what you come up with!

Also, I agree with @OutsourcedGuru. Start with Python 3, especially if you don't see your projects being complete in the next 6 months. Good plugins that only work in python 3 will give users an additional incentive to upgrade :slight_smile:.

Btw. I don't hate python!!! I hate UI-development, because I am not a UX-Expert and sometimes the combination of knockoutjs and jquery-stuff ends up with weird behaviours and it takes hours/days to find the solution.

"A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good"

What would be great is to have a Visual Studio Code text parser which colorizes the KO from the jQuery from the raw JS from the HTML from the CSS...