Incompatible to OctoPrint or the underlying Python environment

Hi there!

I am a newbie to OctoPrint. I might be facing silly questions.

[Context] The built plugin is planned to capture the running parameters of 3D printers (like estimated time), and update these parameters to a cloud database.

1. I am trying to install Plugins; however, a flash symbol appears next to the installed Plugins showing "Incompatible to OctoPrint or the underlying Python environment."

2. Based on my understanding of the above problem, I tried to migrate Python 2 to Python 3. But I did not fully clear what the code (pip install -e path/to/your/plugin) means. Did it mean the place of the plugin folder?

3. Besides, I got two OctoPrint files on my laptop (installed in different places). How could I know which one is connected to the website? Or which one I could delete and in which way?

Many thanks!

Cheers!

Have you set __plugin_pythoncompat__ in the plugin's file? This is commented out with 3 example options by default using the template

Hopefully I understand the question, but yes. If you have OctoPrint's virtual environment activated, then run something like pip install -e /home/pi/my-awesome-plugin then it should install.

That... is probably a question only you can answer, I don't know what you mean by 'two octoprint files' - if you have installed OctoPrint twice, then you can remove one of them. If they are different folder names (.octoprint and OctoPrint) that you are looking at (assuming linux? you didn't say.) leave them alone.

1 Like

Thanks for your answers!

1. Have you set __plugin_pythoncompat__ in the plugin's file? This is commented out with 3 example options by default using the template

Yes, I have set __plugin_pythoncompat__ = ">=3,<4" in my file. This code is executed under Python 3.7.

1. Hopefully I understand the question, but yes. If you have OctoPrint's virtual environment activated, then run something like pip install -e /home/pi/my-awesome-plugin then it should install.

I copied and pasted other's files in the following structure, and so there was no original plugin file on my laptop. In this case, should I also migrate Python 2 to Python 3?

1. That... is probably a question only you can answer, I don't know what you mean by 'two octoprint files' - if you have installed OctoPrint twice, then you can remove one of them. If they are different folder names ( .octoprint and OctoPrint ) that you are looking at (assuming linux? you didn't say.) leave them alone.

Noted. I just remove one of them. I installed OctoPrint twice (there are two folders named 'OctoPrint', Windows 10).

Thank you for your answers again!
Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.

In the plugin's code, I have already set __plugin_pythoncompat__= ">=3,<4" (the plugin is developed based on Python 3.7 at Windows), but the flash symbol next to the installed Plugin showing "Incompatible to OctoPrint or the underlying Python environment." When I changed the __plugin_pythoncompat__= ">=3,<4" to __plugin_pythoncompat__= ">=2.7,<4" , the plugin cannot be installed.

Cheers!