It's time to learn Python! First steps?

Hello everyone.

What are your suggestions for learning Python? I've wanted to learn it for some time, and i'd like to make it a priority this summer. Where to begin.. go! :slight_smile:

thanks!!

1 Like

ORA books, stackoverflow, Github. Everyone has a different learning style- the good news is there are tons of sources.

Start with some small projects. Find some mentors or a friendly forum (ahem) that will help you along.

Don't bother learning python2. Start with python3.

Don't use tabs.

No, seriously, don't use tabs.

WHAT?!! You can't use tabs! To heck with python. Don't bother learning that garbage language then.

If you like to have a more classroom-style learning method, this course is really good. It is also entirely free unless you want a certificate.
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-using-python-2

It uses python 3.5, despite the url name :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, you can use tabs, like if you want to contribute to OctoPrint. Curse those legacy projects!

You are aware that OctoPrint is written in Python???
So into the garbage with OctoPrint too???? :scream:
That would be the same as you would say: Don't learn C because it uses void. :wink:

Does this edition teach python 3?

Excellent, I signed up! I've taken a ton of MITX pro classes, as well as on campus so I know what to expect. Should be great!! thank you!

thanks for the suggestions. I will look into those. My type of learning style is usually monkey see, monkey do. lol

Glad to help! Have fun!

Visual Studio?

Preferences -> User Settings -> Text Editor ->Tab Size = 2

"editor.tabSize": 2
"editor.insertSpaces": true
"editor.detectIndentation": true

Preferences -> User Settings -> Text Editor ->Tab Size` = 2

If you setup studio like that will it allow for tabs and just convert them to spaces or something?

Yep, all the cool kids are doing it.

I've been using tabs forever and it would be difficult for me to just... [space], [space] when I know that one [tab] would do the same work, same result.

:highlight five lines of text: then [tab] => indent them 2 spaces to the right (reverse for [shift+tab]

I'd pull my hair out if I didn't have this setup like this.

My biggest Grips is the dynamic typing. I see that from python 3.6 that I have my strict typing.

@OutsourcedGuru, Would you say that python as of 3.7 has the tooling support and debugability that c# has?
(I'll learn python or not based solely on your answer)

Foosel's the Python expert here, of course.

This is an older graphic but the trends continue. Python rules the IoT space at the full o/s level; C++ for embedded sorts of chips. JavaScript is now in reality much larger than this first 2013 graphic suggests (see the last two recent charts). Java is definitely on the way out. C# is great but it feels like it's mostly directed towards Microsoft these days. It feels like Ruby is on the rails, (pun-intended).

All StackOverflow respondents to questionnaire:

Professional developers in that same questionnaire:

Definitely learn Python as a language.

Java can't be on it's way out if it's 1/4 of the users :rofl:

Sigh...

Ok so skillshare is a waste of time. Can anyone point me to a good python tutorial for a veteran programmer?

This guy's video series seem to be complimented enough to give them a try.

I learned on Codecademy. The format worked really well for me when I learned.