LayerDisplay breaks gcode for my Ender 3 Pro

Hello, I was using the LayerDisplay plugin on the ender 3 pro and the printer kept giving an error, that the printer was requesting line 3. Anybody know how to fix this?

Good question.
Much more information would be quite handy - like the logs you have been asked for...

1 Like

Sorry, here are the logsoctoprint.log (476.3 KB) serial.log (148 Bytes)

Open the serial log in a text editor and you'll see a special message - just for you :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

oh, an empty log is very useful, isn't it!

1 Like

Hi @Ryan_Ogurek,

did you adjust the message pattern from: https://github.com/dattas/OctoPrint-DetailedProgress?
IMHO that is the problem.

Any time the printer receives a M117 message command (e.g. M117 ETA: -*98), the response is an error acknowledgment.
Maybe the firmware doesn't accept - or * character.

Disable the plugin and rerun the print job.

There is also a undervoltage error:

2019-11-17 15:13:39,344 - octoprint.plugins.pi_support - WARNING - This Raspberry Pi is reporting problems that might lead to bad performance or errors caused by overheating or insufficient power.
!!! UNDERVOLTAGE REPORTED !!! Make sure that the power supply and power cable are capable of supplying enough voltage and current to your Pi.

* is the separator got the checksum. Don't put it into M117 messages. In theory you can escape things with \, in practice it strongly depends on the firmware fork whether that will work as expected.

So better refrain from using *, : or ; since they can all be problematic.

Ok, the only thing would be that my printer works as expected without the layerDisplay plugin installed. That would lead me to believe that it was that specific plugin that caused problems.

The printer (Ender 3 Pro) is running its factory version of Marlin. The undervoltage error is due to my micro USB port having a short. I need to replace it.

This needs to be fixed on my pi, it is not an under voltage, just a loss of power momentarily. The capacitors keep it alive

And yet, it's still reported as undervoltage and Raspbian will respond in ways which won't help you.

1 Like

Yes, I know :frowning_face: It is on my bucket list of things to do.

Yes, probably because it sends an M117 out that contains any of the above mentioned problematic characters. Reconfigure it to not do that and it should be fine.

I am comfortable in a command shell, however it is beyond my knowledge whether I can do that and, if so, could you provide me with the information on how?