Logs, reading and understanding them!

hello guys,
I'm new to 3d printing and raspberry pis as well, I was working in a project with my school so I connected the pi to the printer so we can remotely control it and unfortunately still have some problems the printer get killed after 1 successful print.
Anyway I know to solve this I need to send the logs in help section which I will, but I'd like to learn to read these logs by myself so in the future I can solve my problems and even help others which are stuck, what should I do or how to do so, to be able to read and understand these logs and to be capable of solving them, any recommendations?

IMO, the first step is to understand how (and when) to enable the logs and how to access them. The second step is to recognize the log's content when things are working as expected. The third step of being able to understand the logs when things go wrong often depends on an understanding of the software that is generating the log entries. Some log entries are self explanatory, others can be quite cryptic.

In the end, I think it comes down to experience. The more you have, the better you become at solving your own problems. At some point in this journey, you become able to solve other people's problems.

2 Likes

I often refer to this page to lookup what any particular gcode command is meant to do. It's crucial to understand that the motors can move in either absolute or relative mode.

• tornado: Anything that includes this line means that the webserver part of OctoPrint was attempting to return a page which the browser (or smartphone app) asked for.
  • "|": The lines which begin with the pipe symbol are usually present when OctoPrint is just starting. Plugins marked with an asterisk were not loaded for the indicated session.
  • "INFO", "WARNING", "ERROR", etc: There are classifications of logging.
  • "octoprint.server.ap", etc: Often, there is a pedigree of which section is logging.
  • "409 GET": If you see an integer before the word GET, this is usually trying to tell you that this is the standardized return code from that attempt.
1 Like