I've been trying to use an old android phone (Xiaomi Mi3) as a camera for Octoprint. I used the directions provided by https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Using-an-Android-phone-as-a-webcam
However, the IP Webcam app keeps crashing and is not stable on my phones (tried 2 - an LG-G2 and the Xiaomi Mi3). I was thinking if it would be possible to:
- Connect the phone to a raspberry pi using USB (I'm powering / charging my phone through the RasPi USB)
- Get image from the camera using ADB.
I'm not sure if this would work, or even how I would make it work. I think such a setup would have the following advantages:
- The phone camera will not be on at all times. Agreed, you will not be able to get a video stream in this case, however, I am more interested in creating time-lapses using octolapse. I believe this will also ensure that the phone does not overheat
- You would be able to switch on the camera only when needed
- You will not need a third-party app
Any help would be appreciated.