My new printer - WIP

I'm on my way to a new DIY 3D printer. It's with ultimaker style gantry, two extruders (the board can handle 3) and it's for 3 mm filament, because I sttll have tons of it. When it's gone, I can convert the printer to 1.75 mm. It will get dual Z-axis motors.
The cube is 50 x 50 x 50 cm³. The printing height will be about 30 cm or so and the area maybe 40 x 40 cm². Exact dimensions when I'm finished. For the first tests I will use a vintage i3 MK2 heatbed.

2 Likes

Wow. That's huge. Just think of the parts you'd be able to create with that.

Thank you! I'm curious for myself :sunglasses:
And as good as possible designed with Fusion 360 - but a lot of tweaks are necessary...

For what it's worth, I've found that filament delivery from above the printer helps to remove a lot of nonsense. My best filament spooler now is a converted double-monitor holder. Since the spools are above the level of the printer, the stepper motors don't have to work harder to lift filament.

2 Likes

Awesome :+1:
I plan to do something like this sometime in the future :smiley: (at least I hope so :wink: )

Do you want it only for printing or for cnc stuff too?

1 Like

Thank you @PrintedWeezl!
First is printing, maybe some (laser)engraving, but not for hard cnc-ing. I thing the gantry is not rigid enough.
I actually planned to build a DIY printer for some years.

1 Like