My new printer - WIP

I'm on my way to a new DIY 3D printer. It's with ultimaker style gantry, two extruders (the board can handle 3) and it's for 3 mm filament, because I sttll have tons of it. When it's gone, I can convert the printer to 1.75 mm. It will get dual Z-axis motors.
The cube is 50 x 50 x 50 cm³. The printing height will be about 30 cm or so and the area maybe 40 x 40 cm². Exact dimensions when I'm finished. For the first tests I will use a vintage i3 MK2 heatbed.

3 Likes

Wow. That's huge. Just think of the parts you'd be able to create with that.

Thank you! I'm curious for myself :sunglasses:
And as good as possible designed with Fusion 360 - but a lot of tweaks are necessary...

For what it's worth, I've found that filament delivery from above the printer helps to remove a lot of nonsense. My best filament spooler now is a converted double-monitor holder. Since the spools are above the level of the printer, the stepper motors don't have to work harder to lift filament.

2 Likes

Awesome :+1:
I plan to do something like this sometime in the future :smiley: (at least I hope so :wink: )

Do you want it only for printing or for cnc stuff too?

1 Like

Thank you @PrintedWeezl!
First is printing, maybe some (laser)engraving, but not for hard cnc-ing. I thing the gantry is not rigid enough.
I actually planned to build a DIY printer for some years.

1 Like

Here is an update. Still fiddling around with the Z-axis:

3 Likes

I feel with you and yes its always a pain :smiley:
but my x axis will be more tricky

3 Likes

That looks solid. And linear rails :sunglasses:

1 Like

It is a Pipe system sold at OBI from which you can build workbenches / i stand on this printer with around 100 KG :-/ and it is totally stable :smiley:

2 Likes

So my printer made some more steps.
I'm just uncertain if I should use Marlin 1.1.9 or 2.0.x ...

2 Likes

I'm still on 1.1.9 :smiley:

If your printer board is 32-bit then you'd have to have Marlin 2.x, I'm guessing.

I just wish 2.x would be at least in a beta state.
Idk if it's just me but I couldn't trust my printer on 2.x when its printing over night.
I didn't hear anything bad though. Crashes and malformed prints were the worst cases I saw.

My board is a Megatronics 3.0 with some 8825 drivers.
I first have to check how the mechanics work. I maybe switch over to 32 bit board if it runs well.
So I give Marlin 2.0 a try.

----- Update -----
So I tried my first print the other day. Result: massive under extrusion.
Reason: huge friction in the PTFE tube. It's a 4 mm OD/3 mm ID and the torque of the Extruder tore it apart too.
So next step: I ordered a Zesty Nimble today for direct extrusion at the print head.
I maybe get me some stuff from Flex3Drive for the second extruder and to compare.

1 Like

Yo! Thought Zetsy Ltd. is on Cyprus - now I get a parcel from Down Under. :scream:

1 Like

I had to cut about 2" of PTFE tubing and just use that (putting it into the intake of the extruder). I was finding that the friction was too much and resulting in underextrusion as you noticed. (This is related to that conversation earlier about feeding filament from above.)

This is the state of my printer is in the moment:

On the left you see the extruder, there should be the bowden tube in the couple on the top to the hotend carrier (in the back with the black 60mm part cooling fan). That tube is about 90 cm long.

I'm curious how the Nimble will work.

1 Like

I can't find the "Cadillac" tubing I found once. Hm...