Need to upgrade Stepper Motor

What is the problem?

Need to upgrade stepper motor so that i can run a peristaltic pump

What did you already try to solve it?

Using 3rd party motor driver and elegoo uno.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Nope

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

Nope

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

I need to change it so that i can have a nema 23 stepper instead of the nema 17. only problem is the 23 takes 24 v and the 17 takes 3.5 Anyone have a clue how I can do this so i dont have to mess with timers and relays(yikes)
-Daniel
p.s. Ive been trying to figure something out without going nutso expensive. Kinda new so bare with me

I don't think this is an OctoPrint issue...

The nema 23 runs on about the same voltage - it just needs more amps.
I found values between 3.5V and 6.5V. 24V sounds way to high.
you can try to crank the driver output the max and test if that works for you

which drivers are on your board? if we know that we can calculate the max output

a tmc2208 for example got those specs

Model TMC2208
Logic Voltage (VIO) 3-5V
Motor Voltage (VM) 5.5-36V
Motor Phase Current max 1.2A RMS, 2.0A Peak

So even if your stepper needs 24V it should work fine.

edit:
found some really beafy nema 23 steppers and I guess they need more power than those small drivers can provide.
Do you have any torque requirements?

torque reqs are pretty strong. the peristaltic pump has alot of resitance due to the material being pumped. ive made it work on a seperate driver but would like to unify the board and the stepper

Hm I see
Which seperate driver did you use?
Just want to check our options

oh and another question - do you know which board version is in your ender?
And can you tell me if it's the silent version? (if it's not silent the printer makes "music" when the axis move)

looking at a microstep driver
EASON Stepper Motor Driver TB6600 4A DC9-42V 32 Subdivision for Nema 17, 23 Series Stepper Motor CNC Controller Single Axis Hybrid MicroStepping

Just checked the supported stepper drivers in marlin (the firmware your printer runs on) and you're in luck - the TB6600 is supported :slight_smile:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-11-30 12-58-44

Now to the bad part - I don't know if there's any good way to make it work with your printers mainboard.
Imo the best option would be a good old ramps board on an atmega 2560 based arduino (clone).
You won't break speed records with this older 8 bit microcontroller, but I guess that's no issue for your application anyway.
Of course you could also use a newer, faster board - but I would start the project with this cheap older boards. If anything goes wrong you didn't spend much money. There's sill the option to upgrade the board later if want.
You get a set consisting of a ramps board, the mega 2560 clone, 5 stepper drivers (for the x,y,z steppers), a screen and cables for $30-$40 from china.

It takes some tinkering, but is definitely doable. I probably can help you with some stuff, but I can't test or build it for you.

What I found to get you started is this

and some wiring diagrams from google

Bro i love your responses because they always get me what i need. Ill try the cheep way for now and we will see what happens

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.