OctoLapse + Simplify3D Multi Process

Hi Guys,

I am using OctoLapse v0.3.4 with OctoPrint v1.3.9, using Simplify3D as my slicer.

On prints with a single process in Simplify3D, I don't have any issues with OctoLapse, everything runs great.

However, when I use multiple processes, OctoLapse will run fine through the first process, but when subsequent processes start it stops taking snapshots.

OctoLapse still seems to know when a layer change is occurring, as I can see that my counter for "Triggering Every Layer" is continuing to count up, and I have OctoLapse set to Snapshot - Every Layer, High Quality.

In my current print job, I have 2 processes, one that prints 2 perimeter walls for the first 5mm, and switches to a single wall above 5mm. OctoLapse stopped taking snapshots after 5mm. I was careful to make sure all my settings were the same between processes. Is there a setting in Simplify3D I need to enable or disable to have the snapshots persist through the process change? Does it reset some absolute/relative values in the G Code that OctoLapse depends on to continue performing snapshots on layer changes?

As mentioned, when I look at the Trigger State, Extruder State, Position State, and Position Changes everything still seems to be tracking. It still seems to be tracking all the features based on print speeds, it still tracks Z Hop, retractions, axis positions, priming, layer changes, etc...

I know I'm probably missing some information here that would be helpful, but any insight on why this is happening would certainly be helpful.

Thanks!

1 Like

Did you managed to fix it? I'm having the same issue

You should visit the OctoLapse repository, research the issues to see if one already exists for this, create one if it doesn't (and of course, consider throwing a quarter into his tip jar).

2 Likes

This isn't going to work, unfortunately. Octolapse would be smashing into your parts if I allowed this. The only way I could think to make this work is to always raise up to the max z height before each snapshot, but that would take forever. I will think about this a bit more, especially since non-planar printing also has this kind of issue.

Ug.. I realize now I misunderstood... I was thinking you were printing one part fully, then moving onto another part (been working too long).

First, I'd try using the compatibility mode layer trigger. It doesn't require features/retraction to execute a snapshot. Perhaps you could configure a small test print, or use test mode to speed things up.

You could also try upgrading to v0.4.0rc1. I've stopped fixing issues specific to 0.3.4 in order to focus on the new version, and tons of issues like this have been eliminated (feature detection was gutted and reworked to be comment based, automated, and to require WAY fewer slicer settings to work). I can post instructions here if you want.