OctoPi Release Candidate 1.0.0rc1 needs testers!

Guy Sheffer just published a release candidate for the next release of the OctoPi image, version 1.0.0.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://octoprint.org/blog/2022/02/28/octopi-release-candidate-1-0-0rc1/
1 Like

I think it is a good idea to release "official release" of OctoPi ... But I think it would be better if the version number matched the Octoprint release number...
OctoPi 1.0 --> Octorpint 1.7.3 ... For beginners is not the most simple ... I think ...

OctoPi and OctoPrint aren't the same thing. The last OctoPi release (0.18) was with version 1.5.2 this time last year, OctoPrint is updated more frequently so having the version numbers match would not make sense, they would very soon be out of sync.

Can I update from the command line to test out the RC, or would I need to re-flash my SD card?

Hello @damien !

You have to do the latter one.

1 Like

Yes I know but that's my opinion. After, I do not criticize this choice. I just think it would be easier for beginners.
Myself i only use docker for octoprint, i think it is more simply to upgrade :slight_smile: do not depends OS.

Your suggestion really makes no sense. It would be out of sync withing a month, and I've never seen confusion between version numbers from a beginner. :man_shrugging:

BTW, is OctoPi 1.0 using 64bits or is it still 32bit?

You can choose, although there's more issue reports with the 64 bit versions at the moment.

I downloaded the iso yesterday and burnt to a third SD card via Pi imager
I am happy to report that that process went OK.
did have issues three times attempted restoring from a nice clean new octopi/print stable version. it seemed to fail at different restore points putting back the 3rd party plugins and it might be the GPIO-Status (0.2.1) since it is a new octopi version.
Anyways after the thrid attempt of the restore I pushed forward with the initial setup.
after a reboot the octoprint seemed to come up with most plugins there.
note for both the stable version and this beta version I get this warning which I did process the update via the command line and things seem ok but noting this to include in updated versions
! WARNING: You are using pip version 22.0.3; however, version 22.0.4 is available.
! You should consider upgrading via the '/home/pi/oprint/bin/python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.
I also thought this would also be the testing of octoprint 1.8.0 but in fact it is still 1.7.3
I should also note I am running this on an old Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 2 so that part still works.

OctoPrint 1.8.0rc has not started yet, look out for that hopefully next week assuming nothing goes wrong in testing...

I had my first crash today. uploading a file to print and it crashed the Octoprint UI at least. do you want logs to look at or disregard?