OctoPrint guide for Banana Pi M2 Zero install

So I was thinking about swapping out my ZeroW plugged into the back of my Prusa i3 MK3S+ and I was wondering if there are any extra steps that I need to do beyond just install OctoPrint, still debating between Raspbian install or DietPi install, to communicate over the GPIO pins properly since they are plugged directly into the Einsy board and not via USB.

As a side note, is there a reason you went with a Ubuntu install versus the Banana Pi provided images for Raspbian Stretch and then just upgrade and install OctoPrint via normal channels?

Also is the external antenna required on these boards because the seller insists that it has an integrated antenna, but every video/article I see with the m2 zero, they are using the external antenna.

I honestly would spend the money on a RPI 4. I used the BPI for quite a while but did have some issues where it locked up and wouldn’t respond in the middle of my print job. I went with Ubuntu because it was more stable than any of the ported RPI images. The RPI images would glitch out and during any module installation like python modules it would lock up. It could have just been the BPI zero I had but who knows. I also ran an external antenna on it. Even being 2 feet away from the router the internal antenna would drop signal.

1 Like

I just love the seamless mounting and communication method of plugging into the back of the Einsy board. I wish there was a more powerful and more reliable sbc in the form factor of the zeroW.

1 Like

Did you or anyone else happen to try converting a ported Raspbian image to Dietpi which ideally would fix any of the oddities with their Raspbian image? Do you think that would be worth doing?

I did not try that. If you can keep it stable it might be worth doing.

So I found this image of Armbian with OctoPrint so I likely will try that out first since the maintainer says that in his experience Armbian images will likely be the most up to date for this board. He also recommended against using Stretch images due to EOL fast approaching and according to the DietPi guys upgrading between major updates, e.g. Stretch to Buster, is generally a no no.

Does anyone know what antenna I need to get for the BPi M2 Zero? I think I got the right one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QDTXGGJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_W2YAKCJ3WJ9AAYM3ZEYF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
But when I tried to install it, it would just not stay in, it appears to be fully seated, but it easily falls out with a small tug. I noticed on the board the connector outer ring has a small gap in it? Is that supposed to be there or did it break when I inserted the antenna?

This is the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V6HY1T2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Are you positive because the one I linked says it is for the m2 zero and it also states that it is similar to the u.fl cables, but smaller.

I trust you, I just want to double check as I rather get the right one a second time around.

I cannot find the spec from the BPi side as to what connector to use so if anyone has any documentation that specified the type I would appreciate it.

Yep. It’s connected to mine.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reference, I got a 8dbi antenna with a u.fl connector and it worked perfectly. It is very confusing that the original antenna I posted specifically lists the m2 zero and even reviews mention it working when it is the wrong one.

Does anyone know what the safe operating temperature of the M2 Zero (Allwinner H2+) is? My setup is running about 30C over ambient with a heatsink on the Soc and memory but I am wondering if I need to figure out a exhaust fan for the back of the Einsy Rambo board.

I found the data sheet online, but the max junction temperature was never listed.

That is a quite vague information. If we don't know what your ambient temperature is, we can't say if yes or no.

In fact, absolute values count in this matter. 60°C is acceptable for most SoC. But as it for all semiconductors applies: the lower, the better. Put a small and silent fan above the chips to keep the air moving.

I get that, I was more just giving that as a testament to my current cooling solution more than anything else, the reported SoC temperature ranges from low 40's to mid 70's Celsius.

I just don't get how finding the max junction temperature of a given chip is so difficult. For some reason, the datasheet provided the Storage Temperature and the Ambient Operating Temperature but neither of those are particularly useful as I am guessing Storage Temperature is just non-operational temperature, and the Ambient Operating Temperature does not specify the cooling setup or if there is one at all and having a max of 70C ambient without cooling and while under full load, well that seems super suspect to me.

You can control the gpio pins directly under /sys/class/gpio/

I have a little problem. When i enter the command for flashing, its starting normal on /sdb1 but when it is compressing it wants a sdb12 instead of a sdb1 (witch does not exist) where is the problem?

mint@mint:~/Desktop/bananapi-zero-ubuntu-base-minimal$ sudo ./flash_sdcard_m2z_v2.sh /dev/sdb1
INFO: Umounting /dev/sdb1, please wait...
INFO: Reading partition...
WARN: Flashing /dev/sdb1....
347+1 records in
347+1 records out
355699 bytes (356 kB, 347 KiB) copied, 0.0129055 s, 27.6 MB/s
INFO: Decompressing rootfs to /dev/sdb12, please wait... (takes some time)
mount: /home/mint/Desktop/bananapi-zero-ubuntu-base-minimal/erootfs: special device /dev/sdb12 does not exist.

I'm surprised that /dev/sdb1 is used as the target. I would have expected /dev/sdb. All the linux OS installs I've done have two partitions on the target, one small one for /boot and the rest of the target device which mounts as /. It looks like that is what your script is trying to do.

Hello, I am new to Linux. I have made a boot disk for Linux, but I see many steps to perform and very complex.

I also don't have an HDMI cable to connect a display.

It would be possible that they will pass a clone of your SD card with everything installed and then I will change the essid and password of my wifi. ??

Sorry if the question is ridiculous, I'm new to this.

Thank you so much. :sweat_smile:

Hola, soy novato en Linux. Me he realizado un disco de arranque para Linux, pero veo muchos pasos a realizar y muy complejos.

Tampoco tengo cable HDMI para conectar una pantalla.

Sería posible que pasarán un clon de su tarjeta SD con todo instalado y yo luego cambiar el essid y contraseña de mi wifi. ??

Perdón si la pregunta es ridícula, soy novato en esto.

Muchas gracias. :sweat_smile:

You guys can do that if you want, just be aware that your security will be compromised, because you use the same keys for some stuff like ssh and OctoPrint.
So please do it via pm so nobody else gets those keys.

1 Like

Hola, No encuentro la manera de enviar un mensaje privado. Si alguien es tan amable de ponerse en contacto conmigo para pasarme el clon para instalarlo.

Muchas gracias

Hello, I can't find a way to send a private message. If anyone would be so kind as to contact me to send me the clone to install.

thank you so much