Octoprint in a Linux Container(LXC)

I successfully completed an Octoprint implementation in a Linux container (LXC) that proved substantially more difficult than anticipated since the octopi implementations installs so smooth and easy and without much effort.

The benefits of a LXC implementation is:

• multiple instances on a single device limited by usb ports, ram and disk space.
  • better python package management using miniforge
  • substantial improvements in speed, performance
  • a huge improvement in reliability compared to Pi's, in my opinion at least.

In the spirit of open source, I would like to offer the fruits of my labors back to the community.

Please see the first release of my efforts on GitHub at: octoprint_lxc

Any questions or clarifications, please let me know.

4 Likes

I have a HomeLab server with Proxmox installed just about 2 Meters away from my printer.
You think I should ditch the Pi and move octoprint to an LXC?

It’s a good but loaded question. The easiest setup and best supported setup is a running on a Raspberry Pi.

I opted for this solution because I thought it would be easy and fast. It took me over a week to get it working and the camera support and setup required a deep understanding of Linux services and the various camera streamers that I had to explore during this process.

I tried to document and share that in the git repo and can provide support if you want to try it. Keep your Pi’s until you’re sure it works for you and you have patience for the process.

There are simpler alternatives for multi-instance. See octoprint_deploy on the OctoPrint Downloads & Setup page.

1 Like