Octoprint slowing down internet connection

Did you ever take a look into your syslog while on WiFi or tried ntop as I suggested? Sounds like something there went nuts and that caused your issues.

In any case, please mark your discovery (switching to ethernet fixed it) as solution via :marksolved:

I am still not sure if this it directly related to octoprint software. You should try if disabling the software helps. Was the RPI ever reachable from the internet via SSH or similar? I am still thinking of malware. A well managing switch might hide the problem from the user although it is still there.

If you can confirm it a octoprint bug, all right I will shut up.

The Pi is sitting behind 2 routers. The internet provider, plus my own internal network.
I did format the SD card and did a fresh reflash of the image. It didn’t help.

I installed another microSD card with Repetier server on it and I had no problems with internet and ran a few prints.

I did try running Ntop on my computer but I wasn’t sure what to look for. I did not check the syslog, since turning off wifi worked.

I'm having the exact same issue except I do not have the option to hard wire my system to the network. I have a friend that had the same issue when on wifi and his worked fine on wired. This is definitely an octoprint issue. I'm using windows 7 and not a RPi. If I start octoprint the entire network goes almost completely down. As soon as I stop octoprint everything works perfect again.

Have you checked if the issue persists in safe mode as suggested above? Have you tried something like ntop as suggested above?

ok it seems to be running fine in safe mode. I did a fresh Windows install and, other than all the windows updates, only installed Chrome, AVG, Python, Octoprint and the Arduino IDE for firmware uploads. Nothing else is installed on this computer and I have not added any plugins that I am aware of.

I turned off Discovery and virtual printer in the plugin manager and it seems to be stable in wifi now.

edit (since I cannot post in here again :confused: )
When I restarted octoprint it did not go back into safe mode and I had to shut it down again and tell it to go into safe mode. That is when I turned off those plugins and restarted octoprint again and it is no longer in safe mode and running fine. Like I said above, I have not installed any plugins. The only plugins that are in octoprint are the ones that came with it. This is a fresh install and the first time I've ever used octoprint. I would not install all kinds of plugins if it didn't work to begin with.

More than likely it is the discovery plugin causing issues since the virtual printer shouldn't have anything to do with networking. I just don't need the virtual printer so I disabled it.

If it already did run fine in safe mode (which disables all plugins but the bundled ones) then I don't understand why you then had to turn off the bundled discovery and virtual printer plugin (the latter btw being a red herring here, it has absolutely nothing to do with networking) to get things to run stable.

If it works in safe mode, it means one of your third party plugins was the cause.