Octoprint stops running

What is the problem?

Octoprint stopped in the midst of a print

What did you already try to solve it?

Followed recommendations on the web page that suggested the check for Python. The check returned nothing. Restarted service.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)

OctoPrint 1.3.9 running on OctoPi 0.15.0
Creality CR-10S running Marlin 1.1.8 firmware

After re-starting the service using Putty I then did a shutdown. The system started up with no issues. I have attached the Octoprint.log which doesn't seem to indicate any advance warning of the "hang".

octoprint.log (726.3 KB)

If this happens again, could you please check whether the Pi has had a power or temperature event? 1.3.10 will have/has in development code to display said status in the web GUI, but you can check by running the following at the commandline:

vcgencmd get_throttled

Ideally the response will be:

throttled=0x0

which indicates there have been no power or temperature events that led to throttling the CPU since the last boot. Rebooting clears these flags. If you get any other value, please post it in this thread, for some advice on how to avoid the particular root cause you're experiencing.

1 Like

I will if I remember. :grin:
Perhaps that suggestion could be added to the page that has the other suggested checks. This is only the second time this has happened to me but it's very annoying when it happens mid-print and there's no resumption possible.

I'd be happy to. Which page?

The page that is presented when the Octoprint service is not running.

For the record, OctoPrint 1.3.10 will come with a modified version of the OctoPi Support plugin (renamed to Pi Support plugin) that will regularly query vcgencmd get_throttled and display the results in the navbar if there's anything returned that's not 0x0.

See OctoPrint On Air #18 for a demo

1 Like

I mentioned that above, but the flags don't persist after reboot, so there is some validity to the request to add it to this page, as it would give an additional avenue for more information in the rare case where power/heat might cause the process die off without gracefully logging an error. The RPi does some weird, seemingly inexplicable stuff when it has heat or power events, which I attribute to inadequate brownout protection causing soft errors.

@foosel, I know you're busy, so would you like me to make the fix and submit a PR? Not going to do it if you don't see the value of it, though, since I'm not maintaining a fork or plugin for a few lines of HTML.

@supertaz that would have to be a PR against OctoPi anyhow - that page is part of the bundled haproxy config, OctoPrint has nothing to do with it (and how could it display it if it's not running :slight_smile: )

Ahhh...good to know. That's a longer release cycle, IIRC, and the next version of OctoPrint will be out first. Since the page already directs users to restart the service, and the next release will have the visual indicators, I don't see much advantage here the more I think about it. The visual indicators will indicate power and heat issues long before the server dies and after it is restarted (assuming the Pi isn't rebooted), so I'm not sure if there's anything to be gained. Perhaps if that page were updated with info on the visual indicators in the upcoming UI, it'd make sense as a commandline alternative. Thoughts @foosel, @guysoft?

I guess it would actually still make sense to update that page with the commands to check since if that page is displayed, there's no chance anymore to get to the OctoPrint UI :smiley:

Problem here might be cross platform support. vcgencmd AFAIK is Raspberry Pi specific, OctoPi primarily targets the Raspberry Pi but can also be built for Orange Pi and such and I'm not sure if @guysoft would be comfortable to include RPi specific commands on that error page. Then again, it could just be prefixed with something like "On a Raspberry Pi, you also should check..." or the like.

2 Likes

We could include "if this is a raspberrypi xyz"