OctoScreen Rebooting constanly

Im running OctoScreen on a Raspberry Pi 4 on an 7" touchscreen.

I have the problem that OctoScreen reboots and works for a few seconds, then it reboots again and again and again... no ending of this.

Do anyone else experienced this problem? or is there anyone that might have a solution?

Would really appriciate any help i can get, since im a new in this stuff.

• Does it reboot like this when you run OctoPrint in safe mode? If so, then it's possible that one of your plugins is causing this.
  • How are you powering the 4B? It wants 5V @ 3A as I recall and an official power adapter rather than trying to pull power sideways over a USB cable from something else. So, no chargers.
  • Does it reboot like this if the touchscreen isn't connected?
  • Does the touchscreen have its own power connection and power adapter?
  • If so, is the Pi being power from a courtesy USB connector on that?

Hi thank you for your answer.

Im using the official Raspberry Pi 7" touchdisplay, the screen is powered from the Pi,
The Power adaptor is Official Raspberry Pi adaptor aswell.

About octoprint in safe mode im not sure how to do that, im new at this stuff, how do i know if it reboots if i dont have the screen connected.... its on the screen i see that it reboots, i can logg in to octoprint from the computer without problem and im running my 3D printer from the computer without problem, the few seconds its booted up i can also use OctoScreen before it reboots again.

I have a video of the problem if you would like to look at it

Try it again having removed the serial cable to the printer board.

Also, it's not rebooting. If it were actually rebooting then you'd see a long list of Raspbian commands upon bootup (maybe two minutes) and then finally you'd see the screen come up. Notice that it comes right back and still knows that the 39% is there.

If it were me, I would remote into the Pi using ssh and then try to figure out what's going on with your x session. You might try cat ~/.xsession-errors to see if there's anything there. Or you might have to do something like watch ls ~/.x* to see if the size of that file changes. What's sad is that by the time your x session crashes, it immediately restarts which then overwrites the previous one.

Maybe instead then... tail -f /var/log/syslog and watch to look for anything to suggest that your x session is cycling (which it is).

I solved my problem...

I did like this:

when logged in in the Pi with terminal or Putty i wrote

service octoscreen status

Then i saw that Active: sayed Activating, but it should say Active (Running)

I then went in to:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

scrolled all the way down in this list and before the last exit 0
i wrote:

systemctl start octoscreen

pressed control X, then Y then Enter to save

This might be enough to fix the problem, but in my case it was not, but after doing this i reinstalled
by pasting in following:

sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-0 xserver-xorg xinit x11-xserver-utils

Then after running that i pasted in:

wget https://github.com/Z-Bolt/OctoScreen/releases/download/v2.5.1/octoscreen_2.5-1_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i octoscreen_2.5-1_armhf.deb

Now OctoScreen works, hope this is help for anyone else here.

2 Likes

Well thanks MbFab. it worked for me too. Im using a 10.1 UPerfect screen