On the Fence about OctoPrint

This issue is why I designed and printed parabolic spool inserts and rewound in some cases. I placed the pickup spool on top of a standard rock-tumbler rig and let it wind it for me.

Hot-crossed filament

1 Like

So it's been a month and I thought I'd update my progress.

Bought a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB 32 GB SD card.
I can Remote Desktop to the GUI when I need to.
Install and setup when very smoothly.
Biggest pain was when I lost the thermistor on my hot end. MTW sent it out the next day but 2 day shipping turned into 8 days.
Been plugging away since.

My original questions.

Can it detect birds nesting and other errors and shutdown?
Plugin can but they need to charge for the bandwidth and processing time.

Twisted filament that can't feed is an occasional issue.
Plugins for filament monitoring, need to setup an encoder and a way to monitor the extruder stepper.

Is USB vs SD card an issue?
No! the Pi is not like a windows machine! My Pi runs at about 10% CPU and 250MB ram while printing and running the GUI for remote desktop.

OctoPrint would get rid of the sneakers. (it does)

Any other advantages?
Found out OctoPrint does a lot more than monitor the print. (its great that my son can monitor his prints from his room)
Plenty of plugins that help with printing in general.
Bed Visualizer - helps me level my fixed bed (shim as needed)
Print Job History - great tool to record all my good and bad prints, I describe the failure and plan to track the data.
Filament manage - nice recording tool

Happy camper, even made a donation.

Matt

It's possible to run your own internal Spaghetti detective server. Agree it's much more work, but that is currently the only solution I know of that doesn't use up bandwidth to the internet or additional charges.

Glad you are enjoying my plugin.

Depending on what you use to slice with (Cura or PrusaSlicer) you could utilize either my UltimakerFormatPackage plugin or PrusaSlicerThumbnails plugin and it makes it easier to see what the files are within the web interface for you/son to know you/he are printing the right thing.