[Plugin Idea] Show remaining Time on LCD using M73 P00 R00

Hello everyone, I got an Prusa i3 MK3S that supports the M73 command. For example:

M73 P10 R10
M73 Q10 S12

would tell my printer to display 10% progress with 10 minutes remaining in standard mode, and 10% progress and 12 minutes remaining in silent mode.

It would be nice if there was an plugin to take the time from PrintTimeGenius (Link) and send these numbers to the printer. Of course ignoring the difference between standard and silent mode, just to make it less complicated.

Would it be hard to create a plugin like that? I'm also willing to learn, where would I start if I want to do it myself? Is it possible to grab values from another plugin? Is there some sort of guide out there that teaches me how to do it myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Tronnic.

Fortunately, both OctoPrint's plugin API is well-documented and the PrintTimeGenius plugin is open-sourced.

You'd need to know Python, some JavaScript, to understand the pip virtual environment concept and enough git to work your way around source code control.

1 Like

Have you tried any of the M73 Plugins already in the repo? I know they don't utilize PrintTimeGenius's estimates, but I would think they're pretty close to accurate if it's being embedded in your gcode.

I would actually be fairly sure that they do use those estimates since that plugin replaces the stock estimates with its own.

1 Like