Plugin will not update to newest release

Hi.

I have a strange issue. After last update to version 0.6 of my plugin Slicer Print Time Estimator the repo Shows version 0.6, plugins installation via repo installs 0.6 but Octoprint like to downgrade to an older version 0.53 then. But I do the same like before with commit to master and also publishing a GitHub release. A force update will show the same result. Any ideas perhaps? I did not fine anything but I am not very common to the update procedure. But in the past it works fine everything.

Cheers,
Nils

I think this is technically a bug with how the release versions of that plugin are setup. I think what you're running into is that 0.53 is technically newer than 0.6. The version number need to be 0.60 in order to be compared properly. Seems to be already reported though version 0.53 > version 0.6 Β· Issue #11 Β· NilsRo/OctoPrint-SlicerEstimator Β· GitHub.

but of course you knew that already because you're the plugin author...lol. You should switch your versioning scheme maybe. Instead of 0.53 it should have been 0.5.3. So what you're running into now is an issue of number comparisons for versioning. I'd recommend re-releasing version 0.6 as 1.0.0 and then moving forward use the major.minor.hotfix versioning scheme.

2 Likes

Yes, I investigated the github issue.

The problem was related to versioning scheme. I thought before it will simply use the newest release as the initial install is also done from master. So thanks for the helpful hint.

For reference (though it is a long, boring, complicated read) see PEP 440 which defines the versioning specification.

An example list from smallest to largest:

• 1.2.0.dev0
  • 1.2.0.a1
  • 1.2.0.b1
  • 1.2.0.rc1
  • 1.2.0.post0