Printing During Timelapse Render

Hi All,

Have already had a bit of a search on this topic, but not getting the hits I would like to read.

I have recently started a few new jobs one after the other with no issues.
The rendering of the timelapse continues & I don't think I see any printing issues.

Running a pi4 with 8 Gig & while both process's are going on the Core Temp sits at about 55-60°C dependent on ambient.
CPU utilization sits at 100% on just one core, usually the 3rd & 4th; not sure why it differs.

What I'd like to improve is the distribution of the CPU load, so hypothetically the rendering happened on one & Octoprint on another.

Other direction would be to throttle the amount of CPU the Render process gets; say limit it to 70%, if splitting load across processors is not possible.

I have found only a few mentions of the config of the ffmpeg component, but believe that might be the key.
In particular this area, but I'm not sure where the placeholder values are stored.

At present some of my Timelapses are taking over two hours; bit of a frustration some time to wait for them to complete.

I seem to get away with it at the moment, but would like some feedback if there's a better set of practices.

I'm aware my Timelapse intervals etc are a bit excessive ATM; timed at 3 seconds; Cam @ 1920x1080.
That's another thing to be addressed in the future.

Any Suggestions Appreciated.

Cheers.

It is not just the CPU usage. Als the usage of amount and access of RAM and ROM (SD card) has to be taken into consideration. The print job would still run quite bumpy.

If time matters, I would rather think of exporting the taken images and render externally on a PC.

Hadn't thought of that, but it sounds a whole heap better approach.

Wonder if anyone knows how to have the images written to say a NAS & then dealt with externally there.
Essentially just have Oct catch the images, but not bother with the rendering process.

1 Like

You can set the drive where the snapshots are stored to.

This is for the OctoPrint timelapse.

Octolapse should have it too.