PSU Control relay

I am contemplating putting in some relays and running the PSU Control plugin. I have a few questions regarding the best way to accomplish this. I have been looking for the right relay to use. I saw a video where a relay was being used to switch the 24V between the PSU and the controller board. I then looked at the relay and saw that it is rated for 10 amps. A Mean Well LRS-350-24 puts out up to 350.4 Watts or 24VDC at up to 14.6 amps. I have the Creality V4.2.7 board in my Ender 3, which comes with a 15 amp fuse. This appears to be a problem waiting to happen if I were to go with a relay rated to 10 amps. I could put the incoming mains through the relay, as it would only pull a max of 6.8 amps at 115 VAC, but I would rather not mess with it if I can help it. I wish the PSU would have a remote switch like an ATX power supply and I could run the remote switch wires to the relay... that would make me more comfortable.

Another question I have related to the PSU Control plugin is the correlation between the PSU Control plugin and the PSU Control RPiGPIO plugin. I just want to make sure I understand. Is the PSU Control just a catch-all user interface to turn on and off the device but doesn't actually do so directly? Is the sub-plugin, like RPiGPIO the "behind the scenes" method of actually doing so? The funny thing is, my Ender 3 is plugged into an older APC switched PDU and I can log into the PDU interface and turn it on and off there but I don't think there is a way to tie it in with OctoPrint or the PSU Control plugin.

Can't answer your PSU control questions because I went a different route and plugged my printer into a smart plug (TP-link). Hopefully, someone with PSU control experience can answer.

I use the TP-Link plugin to turn the printer on and off through OctoPrint. Obviously, the RPi is powered by a separate source. I leave the RPi powered on all the time as its power consumption is very low and I find it useful to have around even when I'm not printing.

Can second @b-morgan 's hint to consider smart plugs. I found 16 A plugs with switchable mains and additional switchable 2.4 A USB that I flashed with Tasmota and control with mqtt and it just works.

I setup a relay on the power cord to the printer that worked perfect. The printer is not pulling more than a couple amps from your home's 120v outlet so a 10amp relay will be just fine. Was easy to wire up and use the psu control plugin to control it via gpio pin from the Raspberry Pi.

1 Like