Raspberry Pi 4 is out

Hello,

I'm a newbie at this, actually I just bought my printer and I'm considering which pi board to buy, just heard of the pi 4.
I saw peoople discussing about being overkill to use pi 4 to run octoprint, but since its the same price with way more resources, why would I buy the older one?

@jwlacorrea If you had a 3D printer farm and wanted to conserve power, using a Raspi 3B for each should conserve power across your business (over the Raspi 4).

Honestly, though, vendors who stockpiled the Raspi 3B, for example, may consider slightly lowering the price for these now that the Raspi 4 is out. It's difficult to say what the long-term price and availability of the 3B's will be over time.

@Homan Also note this thread in which someone has indicated the same.

1 Like

I’m a newbie too. And right now the release for Octopi the Pi 4 isn’t finalized.

I don’t know if it difference enough that following a tutorial for previous pi would still be valid.

I installed BOINC to run Seti@Home and the chip of the Pi runs hot as has been mentioned here.

1 Like

Just FYI, I've been running the Pi 4 on this build and haven't had any issues so far. I have attached a 3.5" inch screen to the Raspberry Pi 4 and a Raspberry Pi Camera. The Pi 4 is running OctoPrint-TFT on the display. No issues printing or any abnormalities that I've been able to detect.

I'm not using the official power-supply so OctoPrint is giving me the low voltage alert. I run "vcgencmd get_throttled" and get back a 0x50005, which I understand means it is under-voltage and the CPU is throttled down. Even with this setup, the CPU utilization looks really good on the Pi 4. See attached for CPU usage during an active printing session with the camera and external display active.

What display are you running? That’s my next step. New SD card coming tomorrow and a fan then I’ll try to install Octopi.

This is the display I'm using. It fits nicely with a new cover I found for my printer on Thingiverse.

Display

Cover

Nice setup. I have the anycubic Mega S. How are you connecting the display to the Pi? Most screens I've seen have a little full HDMI jumper to connect the Pi and the screen (older model Pis). With the 4 having Micro HDMI, I haven't found a similar setup.

On this display I'm using the 40pin GPIO. The Pi 4 is literal right behind the display (at least on my set up it is) you could also use a 40pin cable and have the Pi elsewhere. If you look at the amazon site, it is the sixth picture.

1 Like

Nice. Thanks. This is all new to me! Is there room for a fan under there? I don't know how hot the 4 is running in your set up but using it for Seti@Home and I'm up to 81C in seconds with the heatsink on. Now, that's more intensive than Octoprint from what I gather. But I still worry about heat especially if it's enclosed.

1 Like

When I go to octopi.local on my Safari it just hangs. I put my wifi info in the octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt and uncommented the lines and change my country.

Am I missing something?

Edit: also tried from Terminal sudo ssh pi@octopi.local

If it were me, I'd log into my wifi router and see what devices are connected. I'd look to see if the Raspberry Pi has connected and been issued an IP address and—especially in the case of the Raspberry 4—I'd look to see which zone (2.4Ghz/5Ghz) that it was connected to. Some have suggested that Raspbian Buster is having troubles in the 5Ghz wifi side of things.

Thanks. I got it up and running late last night. I had uncomment a line too many that caused me hours of headache!

1 Like

We all know that feeling :smiley:
Glad you got it :slight_smile:

Just FYI, I'm sure some of you have probably already heard about this, but just in case, wanted to share.

Fix to help heating issue on Pi 4 in beta test:

USB-C implementation issue with Pi 4 can cause some charging cables to not work properly:

3 Likes

My Pi 4 isn't always on (only while printing :smiley:) but streaming the webcam for 16+ hours over 5ghz wifi worked so far :smiley:

1 Like

Just wanted to share my experience here as well. I installed the image from this post (octopi-buster-lite-0.17.0) on my Pi4 4GB and restore an OctoPrint backup from my old Pi 3B+.
First of all, everything worked out of the box. My Pi4 is connected via Ethernet and also the webcam did work as expected on the USB3 bus. Power supply is a 5V 3A.

The whole interface is now faster and more responsive. Loading the page or switching between temp and webcam feels way better.
On my Pi3B+ the webcam stream (1080p 30fps) was always "lagging" if I opened it on a second device or tab at the same time. I tested this on the Pi4 where 4 different devices had the stream open at the same time, still no delay in the stream! :slight_smile:

Download speed of a time-lapse changed from about 10 mbps to 25 mbps (still not 100, but 2,5x more). Uploading big GCode files is also faster.
GCode Viewer now also works quite fast on files >30MB without any problem, where the old Pi had trouble.
The Pi4 did print its own case without trouble, connected via USB3 to the printer. Temps of the Pi where never a problem, always around 61-64. Quite high, but did not increase in a normal Octoprint usage.

To summarize, the Pi4 is boosting OctoPrint a lot!

Need to check if a 1080p 60fps webcam would be possible, or even 2160p. (Yes, I am crazy :smiley: )

Great news all around. :slight_smile:

So you have a blue-tongued USB3 serial cable to your printer? And what printer (and controller board) are you using in it? And finally, I wonder if your OctoPrint/firmware could be configured to accept higher than the standard 115200/250000 baudrates that we're used to?

1 Like

To be more precise, I connected the USB cable to the USB3 connection on the Pi.
I am using a highly modified CR-10, just the movment system is the same. It is now equiped with a chimera dual nozzle and a bondtech dual direct drive system and a BLTouch. Controlled by a MKS V1.4 with Marlin 1.1.9, and I am quite sure this is an USB2 mainobard configured to 250000.

Fair enough. It would fallback to USB 2.0 in that case. (I can't wait to try this on my Smoothieboard eventually.)

Hello,
New to Octoprint so have a lot to learn.
Happy to say that the nightly build has been installed on my pi4 4Gb and is working PERFECTLY. As of right now, only the pi4 directly to the printer (JGAurora A1) and nothing else so got some playing to do. Changed a few settings to customize it to the A1 and sent some jobs...wow... The print quality is so much better than I was getting from the Cura sliced SD card jobs. Will try to send pics later but for now just want to say...GREAT JOB GUYS, and thank you for all you do. Much appreciated.

1 Like