Raspberry Pi 4 is out

For those that want to try more with their Raspberry Pi 4, an avid Cura user and contributor has managed to compile an experimental build of Cura (the whole application) for the Raspberry Pi 4:

As if your rpi4 did not run hot enough already.

3 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:
If it gets stable I hope that the CreawsomeMod will also be available for the pi :slight_smile:

So, you’re doing all the slicing in Octoprint? I didn’t realize you could do that! Is it a plugin or built in?

What’s it doing differently then what Cura does?

Yeah there is a plugin you can download for slicing in octoprint.

I think he was saying that he uses his cura gcode files from pc und print them with octoprint instead of printing them from a sd card.
I don't think he uses octoprint (or its plugin) as slicer.

Why would that improve print quality? That’s were he’s confused me.

No, no...still slicing with Cura and uploading gcode to Octoprint. I think there is a Cura plugin for Octoprint but not sure if it works for the Pi4 version. Like I said, I'm new to Octoprint so i have a lot of learning to do.

As far as the quality, no clue. I've been doing my slicing on Cura and sending it to SD card for printing. No matter what settings I changed (temps, speed, retraction, jerk, etc.) I got a slight layer shift (very slight but noticable) and some minor blobbing here and there. I tried both the stock and custom firmware and had the same result. I sent the exact same gcode through Octoprint and got a practically perfect (in a perfect world, nothing is really perfect...hehe) print. So, go figure...not sure why. There was a very noticeable difference in the print quality.

Anyway, looking forward to learning more about Octoprint and what it can do.

1 Like

What burtoogle over at the Ultimaker forum did was compile Cura for the Raspberry Pi 4 (only). So you can run the full Ultimaker Cura application on the Pi 4, provided you install the (optional) desktop environment. This has nothing to do with the legacy CuraEngine plugin, or with OctoPrint actually. Sorry if I confused matters.

Off-topic, but the CreawsomeMod profiles are integrated into the upcoming Cura 4.2.

Really?
That's totally awesome :smiley:
Looking forward to 4.2 then :sunglasses:

ive recently purchased a pi 4, is it possible to run it via wifi with my cr-10s? im new to this and seemed to have followed all tutorials but still nothing when i look up whats connected to my router, thanks.

The Pi 4B (like the 3B+) is also compatible to 5Ghz wifi; it's possible that it's connecting to a second wifi zone your router could have, causing confusion.

When you say "via wifi", do you mean "without a serial cable to my CR-10s"? For most people, it will still need a serial cable over to your printer from the Pi.

1 Like

First what @OutsourcedGuru said and then if you just to want your pi on wifi but connect your printer still via usb to your pi -> yes :slight_smile: It's working great for me.
I'm using 5ghz wifi and have no issues at all. Also my big 150mbit cam stream works great.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch for the build!

I just pumped out the first successful print on a 4GB model without any hiccups - even did an Octolapse for good measure. It rendered in a jiff.

• Restored fine from my Pi 3B+ instance backup.
  • I only used the USB 2.0 ports.
  • It connected to 5GHz without issue - I have a different SSID for each WiFi band though.
  • SoC didn't go over 60°C in a small Pi enclosure, even with a woefully under-powered 30 mm fan (24 V rated, 5 V from GPIO, essentially placebo :upside_down_face:) and no heat sinks.
  • Fed by a last gen official Pi power supply with no problems.

The web interface feels a touch snappier and the webcam stream is smoother. PrintTimeGenius estimates also wrap up quicker.

Sorry I don't have any real numbers, but I can say it's been playing nice all evening :+1:

2 Likes

That's good to hear :slight_smile:happy printing :slight_smile:

via wifi i mean from my PC to my pi, then running usb to printer. but i cant even get to the stage where i can login to octoprint, once ive added my router info in, and gone to my routers information the pi still isnt showing.

With the pi running try to go to http://octopi.local/ - This address should work if it joined your wifi (maybe the router isn't showing it in your device list).

If that doesn't work try to get the pi set up first with it plugged in to a screen and keyboard so you can do some diagnosis to see if it is getting an ip address on your network. Log in and run the following command:
ifconfig

Check if you have an ip address listed for wlan0, if not then you will need to do some diagnosis to see why your pi is not connecting to your wifi. Here are some links that may be useful:

thanks for your help, ill give it a go today.

Yeah try this guides but the most imortant thing is to set the wifi country (you can do this in raspi-config) or else the wifi might not work.

1 Like

so i tried wiping my sd card, and installing raspbian instead of octoprint, and everything worked fine. Then re-wiped and installed octoprint again, changed my net login, country etc, plugged it into monitor/keyboard and nothing... where as lights lit up on keyboard on Raspbian and worked perfectly... even tried with ethernet and nothing..no idea what ive done wrong

Hmm interesting, sounds like maybe a corrupted image download.

Just confirming this is the image you are using (Beta nightly build for Pi 4):
https://storage.googleapis.com/octoprint/2019-06-24_2019-06-20-octopi-buster-lite-0.17.0.zip

You can also download the md5 to check if your image file is corrupted or not:
https://storage.googleapis.com/octoprint/2019-06-24_2019-06-20-octopi-buster-lite-0.17.0.zip.md5

Here is a guide on checking the md5 with windows or linux:

Also I recommend using balenaEtcher for writing the image to your sd card: