Raspberry Pi HQ Camera full Resolution?

Hello I pretty new to the hole Raspberry and Octoprint stuff, and I want to use octolapse for time-lapse print videos for instagram and yt. I bought the Raspberry Pi HQ Camera with the 16mm photolens. I watched some yt videos about how to set things up and I come pretty far with a resolution of 1920x1080. Is there a way to improve the quality even more? the lens is can do 12mp (4056x3040) can I use this somehow or reach up to 3840 × 2160?

I think if you go higher than 1920x1080 you wont run it anymore in 30fps. Maybe 5 or 10 fps. You can find the max by yourself, by changing the resolution in the octoprint.txt. If its to high and you dont see any stream, your to high.

Remember that you can get faster and better quality if you connect the RPI through an Ethernet Cable instead of Wifi. Then Octoprint has way more bandwith to deal with the higher resolution.

1 Like

Ok thx :pray:t3: but unfortunately i cant connect it trough cabel. But the videos i saw they used also 1920x1080 and got better quality as me. And used the same lens

A handy link to have when choosing resolution picams: 6. Camera Hardware — Picamera 1.13 Documentation
As that explains, there's only a few actual discrete modes, and if you want a full FoV, you need to be mindful of which one you pick.

Additionally, if you are using the raspicam in 'usb mode,' (for my Camera Settings plugin or OctoLapse image settings), it defaults the maximum 'video' resolution quite low. You can increase it by specifying the module options as described here on the uStreamer readme (uStreamer not required, but it's a straight forward explanation): GitHub - pikvm/ustreamer: µStreamer - Lightweight and fast MJPG-HTTP streamer

1 Like

you can use some editing tools to enhanced videos resolution before posting videos on yt and instagram.