Rate how well Octoprint works with the MK4

For those of you who have used Octoprint with a Prusa MK3, and now have an MK4, how would you rate how well it works on the MK4 compared to the MK3?

5 - Way better
4 - Somewhat better
3 - About the same
2 - Not quite as good
1 - Not good at all

3 - About the same.

I starting printing from Octoprint to my new MK4 today and the only thing I miss is seeing the percent complete and time remaining on the printer display like they were on the MK3S.

3 - About the same.

I have no issues, but I also miss being able to see the percentage complete, receive notifications for filament change, and have an estimate of the remaining print time. Prusa has already hinted that the next firmware update will include additional information on the display.

1 Like

I use Octoprint with my MK3.5 (which was a MK3S+ just a week ago). I find it works OK, apart from the fact that after powering my printer I need to disconnect and then connect manually before it detects the printer.
Is that something you people experience as well?

I find that after powering down the printer OctoPrint automatically disconnects after some time (I don't know how long). After I power up the printer I have to manually connect.

It actually says it did that:
State: Offline after error
SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)

I find it missing some features that the MK4 has built-in. I would say a 3 from the Octoprint side of things being the same but a 2 from the mk4 side as we are missing newly added features.

1. The filament runout sensor doesn't work when printing via USB - once filament runs out, the printer just continues on printing air
  2. Pause print (M601) doesn't work
  3. The Prusa firmware doesn't go into "print mode", so you cannot manage the print from the printer's LCD. This includes canceling, pausing or tuning the print, or seeing progress.

this is contrary to what other people are saying about the MK4 on the Prusa forum here.

That same thread also indicates that PrusaResearch has stated they plan on adding more integration for connected serial hosts (like OctoPrint).

Curious if it makes a difference if you add that M601 command to the pausing commands section (under serial connection > firmware and protocol) of OctoPrint?

1 Like

Great update. Thanks.