Really, don't over buy your Pi. A 3A+ is more than plenty for Octoprint!

True but, it will NEVER get in the way either. I have 2 high definition cameras on mine and do plugin updates and some slicing on mine and the printer never skips a beat.

1 Like

I thought my pi3B+ was the GREATEST, but it would lock up randomly during prints, or become unresponsive to ssh inbetween prints. It was not reliable. I switched out SD cards and power supplies. Maybe it was how I had my plugins. I have since installed ubuntu on an old laptop and manually installed octoprint and it has been going non-stop for about two weeks all working perfectly.

So I installed raspberry pi on the pi3B+ just to monitor prints with the little 3inch screen and it hasn't froze once in those two weeks, so maybe I got a dud 3B+

Ricky

I have an Anet A8 with its original firmware (I know, I will change the firmware soon). I am using a R Pi 2 and I have found out that the processor usually is under 10% load. Compared to a raspberry 3B+, I have experienced longer boot up time, longer time to process a file upload and sometimes when I see the video feed from my phone it lags at the beginning (which may be the phone fault). This lags never happen on my desktop.

I am sure that time lapse rendering takes longer, but I am not usually in a hurry to start a new print, so I haven't really checked.

I think that there are many factors. Models from raspberry pi 2 onward are not that underpowered as people think. Especially when you are not trying to load a full desktop. Octoprint runs as server and it is very efficient.

I move the Rpi 3+ that I hve to use it in another project that demanded more resources. I am happy with the performance of the RPi 2, even that it is slower. I would like to get a RPi 3 A, but in my country nobody import those.

It has been very enlightening to know about shortcoming on micro-controler buffer and the overload for to many short gcode instructions. Thanks for sharing.

Folks, I've been printing for over 3 weeks, almost non stop. My Pi 3A+ continues to have no issues, no performance issues. No stopped jobs, I've run 24+ hr jobs. It's happy. As I said, I have an Ender3 v.2. I have HIGH quality, minimal length cables. I'm only using 1 pi-camera. I'm happy, it's working!
JLH

1 Like

Yes, I did have problems with the current version of OPrint. I moved my SD card to a 3B+ that solved that issue. I've since upgraded that E3Pro with the 4.2.7 board. Back to my 3A+, no problems.

My E3v2 with the 4.2.2 board, firmware 1.0.2 is working fine. Now both OPi's run at 45c, around 5% on CPU, 1/3 use on RAM, no cache. Pretty smooth!

I tried to upgrade the E3v2 to the top version of firmware for the 4.2.2 board. I would always get a "fatal serial connection". I have the logs & are going to open an Opi support ticked. It is back to the 1.0.2 firmware.

i moved to pi4 8gb due to me using a 4k camera for the feed and i didnt want any buffering or resource issues and its working perfectly

That's very cool. My 2 Pi3A+'s handle my Ender3Pro, and Ender3 v.2 just fine. I only use a "Pi Camera" it works with the plugins I've tried. They still run at 6-8% on the 4 CPU's, under 25% on RAM, no swap ever.