RTSP IP Cam Live Stream Working!

just wanted to share a recent success of mine. I've been running octoprint for over a year with a cheap RTSP IP camera and I could only ever get a screenshot to work on the live stream portion of octoprint.

after stumbling across this thread on reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/octoprint/comments/eoz25z/octoprint_and_wyze_cam/
user Eroji has made a solution that works perfectly for me with my noname RTSP IP camera!!

I have had zero issues with this now, live stream is now working on the octoprint page which is very nice. I could access a screenshot previously, or the live stream via VLC or otherwise. now it just works.... and I didn't need to run software on any external device to do it. all on the Pi

1 Like

Just an FYI, when you have video transcoding running on the pi (that's what that solution does) you potentially risk printing issues/stuttering if the pi's CPU becomes overloaded. Just something to look out for if you start to see bad prints.

1 Like

thanks, yes this was something I was aware of. for anyone who reads this and wants to try.... I'd say it's crucial to test your setup using SSL and 'top' command. I found ffmpeg was around 75-85% cpu at first (no good).
this is with 640x480 ip camera, with 15fps set in ffmpeg
after poking around and testing I realized that my IP camera was still outputting 30fps! setting the IP camera to match 15fps brought cpu to 50%. lowering the FPS to 10 in all areas now has ffmpeg cpu around 35-40%, which I think should not be an issue, or have any effect on printing.

Thank you for pointing this out though! super important