Setting up OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi running Raspberry Pi OS (Debian)

I'm trying to get the official raspberry Pi cam to stream on octoprint.

Im getting stuck here
git clone https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer.git

it says that this couldn't be found.

@rog can you copy-paste the full error message please? "This" can mean a lot here :wink:

How are you!
Now I am following up this manual one by one. I thought that it has been almost done but I stuck another problem again now.

I would like to put this code into /home/scripts/webcam

But all I know thing is $sudo vi .
What am I have to do ?
Thanks for your great support and manual!

Regards,
Clara

/home/pi/scripts/webcam start

Should be /home/pi/.octoprint/scripts/webcam start

The hidden directory is not in the path
The DEV team might need to update the main page "howto" otherwise it will cause alot of confusion

No, it shouldn't. The scripts for controlling/firing up the webcam server a) have to be created and b) don't make sense in OctoPrint's settings folder since the webcam is something that is unrelated to OctoPrint and merely used by it.

1 Like

When following the guide and trying to start OctoPrint, I got the: NameError: name 'unicode' is not defined error.

Found this Github issue: https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/issues/2349, figured it's because of a wrong python version.

Forced to create virtualenv using python 2.7 and it worked. Instead of virtualenv venv, I used virtualenv -p /usr/bin/python2.7 venv.

Maybe others encountered same issue. Possibly update the guide?

Installing on Raspberry Pi 3.

Is it possible to in the future have the option to preset the pi hostname in the same manner that we can preset the wifi setting via octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt? When you are setting up multiple Pi(s) it would be nice if you could make sure they don't all try to point to the same address at once from the get go.

Are you a 3D printer manufacturer? Most people only setup one at a time.

No but I have had to setup 3 Octoprint installations on one network (only one was my personal one). Every time I setup Octoprint the worst of it is still messing with networking stuff. Octoprint-wpa-supplicant is a huge improvement over what came before it but getting wifi working right is still the most frustrating part of the setup.

I'm a long-time I.T. guy so I'm used to that part of the setup, to be honest.

Honestly, I bet I've gone through the OctoPi startup routine 30 to 40 times at least.

So I might just be missing something, but I got as far as starting the OctoPrint server- and the command prompt just looks like it can't finish what it's doing.
Recently wiped this old All-in-one and am in Raspbian right now, I just can't seem to get the server going

Sounds like you're going the manual route. Why not just use the OctoPi image? It's pretty easy.

Honestly, I hadn't thought to look at if Octopi was easily do-able on PC install... But I could use the learning experience.
Anything is going to be easier than the 17hrs it took to wipe the drive in the first place....

Currently, the only thing I can find that looks possibly wrong is that it shutdown the intermediary server.
I get a server heartbeat, it says this is the first startup event, and it registered the instance

Duh.... its octoprint serve....not octoprint. I guess I just needed more coffee

1 Like

Got diverted over here from Adafruit’s tutorial on getting Octoprint running with their 3.5” touchscreen. Followed the outlined steps in the original post, but after firing the command

/OctoPrint/venv/bin/octoprint serve

it runs through it’s thing, and then hangs. While the octopi image deffo works, since it installs the lite version of Jessie, doesn’t help with the touchscreen.

@ubermick

The route I took for two different Adafruit 2.8" screens was:

For the one with the Desktop version:

1. Image with OctoPi and get that going
  2. Run the ~/scripts/install-desktop script
  3. Follow the Adafruit instructions for getting the screen running, choosing the option to mirror the Desktop rather than the console

For the one without the Desktop:

1. Image with OctoPi as before
  2. Run the instructions from Adafruit, choosing the option to mirror the console

What's interesting is that if I do a ps -ax|grep octoprint I get:

3033 ?        Sl     2:56 /home/pi/oprint/bin/python2 /home/pi/oprint/bin/octoprint serve --host=127.0.0.1 --port=5000

So my path collection is completely different than yours. I always use the OctoPi image route for installing.

1 Like

Derp. I'm a complete idiot and noticed plain as day the option to update to the GUI right there as soon as Octopi finished booting. This is what I get for trying this at midnight.

Thanks for the tips - I've got Octopi up and running, and the TFT module humming along using Adafruit's setup here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-3-dot-5-touch-screen-for-raspberry-pi/easy-install-2

Guess all that remains is to install the browser on the pi, and that should be it!

Pretty sure there's already a default browser in the Pixel desktop. I usually set the option to auto-hide the Taskbar at the top of the Desktop. I also "full screen" the browser and then it looks pretty good.

Combine this with the TouchUI plugin and you should be all set.

I corrected...thanks...created the scripts dir and added those files...thanks!

I also had to add my pi user to video in order to use V4L since I installed octoprint on Xubuntu 18.04

usermod -aG video pi
1 Like

Hello good Morning

I'm new to raspberry pi. come on.
I have a raspberry pi 3 and a lcd touch screen 5 '' and would like to know how to install the octoprint on it, to stay the same as this post.

I will be grateful to all who help me