Setting up OctoPrint on MacOS

Thanks so much. I will give it a try and let you know if I have issues. This has been such a great resource.

It worked perfectly! I didn't know it would be so simple to do.

On Catalina, mjpegsw.py may crash because access to the camera needs privileges. The best way to do this is to start an app that requires camera access from the terminal. MacOS will then prompt you to give permission to terminal (and all other apps you run from the terminal). I use webcamoid, which I have installed in the Applications directory in my home directory. For this example, from the terminal, run:

~/Applications/webcamoid/webcamoid.app/Contents/MacOS/webcamoid

Add permission when prompted and from then on you can use mjpegsw.py from the terminal.

The documentation I can find on manually setting up the webcam is all about octopi.txt on the sdcard for the pi, which obviously doesn't exist in this context.

Where does one configure the webcam settings in a virtualenv install?

Depends on which webcam server you're using.

A newbie 3Der here. Greetings to all. Wanted to say kudos to @foosel for the easy-to-follow setup guide. Had my first OctoPrint output appearing on the hotend in under an hour. Don't have a webcam yet, but I'll be back for @odie5533's setup which also looks super simple, and also someone else's suggestion for giving camera access to the terminal. Thanks also for the shell script suggestion. :fist_right: :fist_left: You know who you are - system only lets me mention two others in my first post...lol