Setting up Octoprint on the same PC I am working with

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I'm completely new in Octoprint and very new (1 year) in 3D-Printing.
As I see there are two different showcases for using OP (beside all the great features)

1. my printer is far away from my workstation and therefore I want to control it remotely
  2. though my printer is nearby (my situation) the workstation I want to use Octoprint to avoid the stupid handling with the SD-Card.

Of course I can buy a Raspi and put this between my PC and my Printer.. BUT. . -- and this is the question. Shouldn't be possible to setup octoprint on the same workstation I am working with? I could use a virtual machine for example ? Or -deep deep in my brain I remember about a virtual Python environment. But I have no experiences with that.
If you think this makes sense --> please let me know and and perhaps I have luck and there is still a description about that showcase.
many thanks
Karl

On the download page, if you scroll down, there are links to many different ways of installing OctoPrint. On Windows, macOS, Linux and in a Docker container.