Starting on Developing an Plugin - General Questions

Hey,

I'm quite new to Octoprint, especially the developement of Plugins. But since two Plugins have a cool function I'd like to combine and extend, there is the need for an own solution.

About me:

• 23, made an aprenticeship as mechatronics technician
  • Already scripted in lua and coded in C#

My Goal:

• Make a Plugin to GPIO-Pins with Telegram
  • Control Pins via Telegram (Output), Do Actions from Pins (Input)
  • Actions for Example: 1. Activate Output 2. Send Message 3. Trigger Alarm (for example Fire) 4. Run Printer Commands?

So for this I'd need an basic structure, which I already started. For this I learned Phyton the wrong way (directly on an project instead of an tutorial), started with CSS, javascript and even jinja2.

What did I achieve till now?
I have an option to save settings, load settings, configure pins and print an message on Input. YAY :smiley:
Currently I have an observable array in the js, with pin, name, moce, active, default and verified (more on that later). Before I start asking about the more stylish things in jinja, I kinda like to know if there is a better way to store each pinConfig, so that I can have different configs for Inputs and outputs. Or should I use different Arrays? Why do I need that? I'd like to have an default Value for an Output and an Edgedetection Option for an Input. I could push all to the same Config, but then I'd store more than necsesary.
Next step would be the Jinja2 Side. How can I get an OnChange function to run, to verify my pins (not 1 pin as input and output and visualize them if there is one).

So my questions are:
What is the best way to store the Array in javascript when I want to add different Variables on the childs? Is this the way to go?

How can I add a function, which triggers when the value changed (for example an pin got marked as Input) and set for example an variable verified to false?

How can I acess this verified variable and turn the background to red?

Greetings
Fabian

I do both of these in several of my plugins. There are a couple of approaches, but to give you something to look at that does both store multiple dictionary objects in an array and changing the look of an icon in the navbar check out this plugin.

Thank you @jneilliii gonna check that thing tomorrow.

BTW, you may want to look at the physical button plugin, it allows for configuring GPIO to do stuff, as well as enclosure plugin with both inputs and outputs, which might be something more in-line with what you're working on.

Well a few days have passed and I did the following.

1. I worked on the storage like in the Image.
  2. I found out that in the jinja2 template I work with knockout-js instead of HTML and js => Working together with the documentation and can now handle ifs, foreaches and custom dropdowns from js. Still having trouble with an change event and the corresponding callback, but that will come too